As soon as I saw this recipe for individual ham, cheese, and veggie frittatas in last week’s Weight Watchers Weekly, I knew I wanted to give them a try.
Last night was the night.
I love having breakfast food for supper every once in a while, a holdover from when I was a kid and it seemed like such a treat.
A layer of defrosted frozen hash brown potatoes forms the crust for these easy breakfast muffin-tin frittatas. What is it about individually portioned foods baked in muffin tins that seems so fun? A tasty mixture of eggs, lean ham, onion, pepper and low fat cheese makes up the filling.
As the Weekly suggests, you can whip up a batch of these mini frittatas on Sunday night and then you’ve got breakfast ready and waiting in the fridge for the week. Just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and voila – an easy, healthy, tasty breakfast.
Each individual frittata has 3 PointsPlus value according to Weight Watchers.com.
I thought my first attempt at these hash brown crusted egg cups turned out pretty well and I ended up having two for dinner.
The rest were packed away for breakfasts and/or snacks.
I like my hashbrowns crispy, so next time I will bake them a little longer.
And some of my muffins stuck to the bottom of the tin a bit, so be sure to use non-stick muffin pan and spray in generously for best results.
If these mini ham, cheese, and veggie frittatas look good to you, give them a try and let me know what you think.
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces cooked lean ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- ½ cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Generously coat 8 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Press the defrosted hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup to form a crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In a medium bowl beat the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the ham, peppers, onion and cheese until well blended.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and press the potatoes down firmly with a spoon so that they are like mini pie crusts lining the bottom and sides of the muffin cups.
- Pour ¼ of the mixture into the center of each muffin cup.
- Return to the oven and bake until the potatoes are crisp and golden and the egg mixture is set, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving.
If you liked this Individual Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Frittatas post, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for Skinny French Toast with Strawberry Topping
- My post and recipe for Healthy Breakfast Egg Sandwiches
- Kalyn’s SouthBeach Friendly Egg Muffin Cups (Kalyn’s Kitchen)
- Mini Mushroom and Sausage Crustless Quiches (Eating Well)