I used the leftovers from our St. Patrick’s Day corned beef and cabbage dinner to make this skinny leftover corned beef cabbage soup.
I get such a kick out of turning leftovers into soup; transforming them into a completely different meal.
There’s something so satisfying and frugal about it.
Some of my best soups have been concocted from leftovers.
(It’s a trait I come by honestly, since my mom still talks about one of the best soups she ever made several years ago using leftover swiss steak.)
This simple, tasty leftover corned beef cabbage soup stirs together in no time, yet tastes hearty and delicious.
Since I roasted the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots this year (instead of boiling them) they were the perfect consistency (not too mushy) for turning into soup.
If you want to make this simple leftover corned beef cabbage soup but don’t have the leftovers, you could use a 4 ounce chunk of corned beef from the deli counter and fresh vegetables instead. They’ll just take a few minutes longer to simmer and become tender.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped cooked cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cooked potatoes
- ½ cup chopped cooked carrots
- 4 ounces cooked lean corned beef, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Irish Ale (optional)
- ½ teaspoon savory
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium low. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add the chopped cooked cabbage, potatoes, carrots, corned beef, chicken broth, ale (if using), savory and thyme.
- Stir everything together and bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend.
- Stir in parsley, if using and serve.
If you liked leftover corned beef cabbage soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for leftover corned beef cabbage soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.