I’ve been under the weather with a cold for the past several days, so imagine my delight when my mom surprised me with a big container of this healthy delicious Italian-style vegetable soup. As soon as I tasted it I knew I wanted the recipe.
Turns out she had clipped this recipe for Terrific Tuscan Vegetable Soup Sunday from the USA Weekend CookSmart column with Ellie Krieger. (The recipe also appears in Ellie’s award winning cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.)
There’s no more satisfying way to get your vegetables when the weather is chilly, than with big bowl of steamy vegetable soup. It’s a nourishing way to fill up with minimal calories too.
Enjoy a cup whenever you need a snack or a have a larger bowl for lunch or supper with a slice of healthy whole-grain bread.
Thanks again, Mom.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed and divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (1 medium)
- ½ cup diced carrot (1 medium)
- ½ cup diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1-1/2 cups diced zucchini (1 small)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- In a small bowl, mash half of the beans and set them aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve topped with Parmesan if desired.
More healthy vegetable soup recipes:
Crock Pot Minestrone – hearty and delicious Italian-style vegetable soup with 5 WW PointsPlus value from Gina at SkinnyTaste
Homemade Italian Style Vegetable Soup – easy & tasty with just 108 calories and 3 WW PointsPlus value per serving from Taste of Home
Three 1 PointsPlus Value Vegetable Soups – Asian, Italian and Mexican variations from Weight Watchers
Slimming Garden Vegetable Soup – with less than 50 calories and 0 WW PointsPlus Value per serving here on Simple Nourished Living
Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with Beans – one of the best vegetable bean soups I’ve tasted with 4 WW PointsPlus value here on Simple Nourished Living