WW Recipe of the Day: Italian Zucchini Soup with Pesto
(147 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
Today I’m sharing a new favorite soup recipe – Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup.
Zucchini, potatoes, pasta and pesto create a winning combination in this tasty soup. The aroma of the pesto when it is stirred into the hot soup is simply irresistible. Good any time of year, but especially in summer when zucchini and basil are at their peak.
Skinny on Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup Recipe
This Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup Recipe is slightly adapted from 1,000 Italian Recipes by Michele Scicolone, a cookbook I find myself turning to more than any other at the moment. I love the simplicity of its recipes.
A light and healthy recipe already, the only change I made to the soup was to decrease the oil called for by a couple of tablespoons.
The recipe calls for making your own pesto, but you could always substitute your favorite jarred pesto instead. I like the refrigerated pesto from Costco best.
I used chicken broth, which the recipe calls for, but you can make this vegetarian by substituting a vegetable broth or water. If you prefer a creamier soup, cool the soup slightly, then puree it in batches prior to serving.
We happily enjoyed this soup three nights in a row without complaint. Because we are headed off on a weeklong cruise to Mexico Saturday we have been trying to keep our eating extra light this week. Soup is one of my favorite strategies for lightening up and slimming down without feeling the least bit hungry or deprived.
Served with crusty Italian bread and chopped salad it made for a light yet satisfying meal. According to my calculations each serving has 147 calories and , *5 Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup Additions & Variations:
Creamier? cool the soup slightly, then puree it in batches prior to serving
Fewer Points? substitute cauliflower florets for the potatoes and use less oil in the pesto
Low Carb? substitute cauliflower florets for the potatoes and white beans for the spaghetti
Quicker? substitute your favorite jarred pesto for fresh. I like the refrigerated one from Costco.
Vegetarian? Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth
Not Soup Season? Serve this soup the way Italians do in summer, just warm instead of steaming.
If you like this recipe for Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including: Slow Cooker Tuscan Vegetable Soup, Stove Top Summer Vegetable Soup, Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone, Simple Garden Vegetable Soup, Skinny Curried Zucchini Soup, WW Cauliflower & Zucchini Soup
If you’ve made this Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Italian Zucchini Pesto Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1.25 pounds zucchini (about 4 small)
- 3 medium waxy potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup broken spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if desired
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pour the oil into a medium pot set over medium heat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, potatoes, broth and water. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the pasta and simmer until the pasta is tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto: In a food processor, chop the garlic, basil and parsley until very fine. Add the cheese an gradually drizzle in the olive oil to make a thick paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pesto to a medium bowl. Whisk in about 1 cup of hot soup into the pesto. Stir the pesto into the pot with the rest of the soup. Let rest about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with additional grated Parmesan if desired.
Source: Slightly adapted from 1,000 Italian Recipes by Michele Scicolone.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy + Healthy Zucchini Soup Recipes
- Zucchini and Tomato Soup with Sausage (Slender Kitchen)
- Cream of Zucchini Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Zucchini and Coconut Milk Soup (Cookin’Canuck)
- Slow Cooker Veggie Zucchini Noodle Soup (Hungry Girl)
- Vitamix Zucchini Soup (Snack Girl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!