I’m constantly amazed at how delicious simple homemade vegetable soups, like this Cauliflower and Zucchini Soup are. And how easy to make.
If I had to limit myself to one winning weight loss strategy I think it would be soup.
So many studies confirm what I have discovered – eating soup helps you lose weight and keep it off. It’s nourishing and satisfying and can fill you up on minimal WW Points.
Did you know that the term “supper” is derived from the French “souper,” the evening meal that tended to be lighter and often consisted of soup?
Until recent times, the evening meal was the lighter of the two meals of the day; a soup, or sop, would be a typical evening dish. The name of the meal evolved to souper, than supper.
The Skinny on Cauliflower Zucchini Soup
We have adopted this approach to eating at least a few evenings a week. Instead of a large multi-dish “dinner” we opt for soup with a little salad and/or bread. It seems like I never get that “stuffed” feeling when we eat this way and I’m able to sleep better.
I found this vegetarian cauliflower and zucchini soup recipe in an old Weight Watchers 365-Day Menu Cookbook which dates back to 1981. The lemon juice really perks it up. I used vegetable broth instead of water, which deepened it’s color.
According to my calculations, each serving has just 69 calories, *2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *0 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Cauliflower & Zucchini Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Weight Watchers Cauliflower & Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 medium zucchini halved and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Dash each ground allspice and ground nutmeg
- Chop up 3/4 of the cauliflower. Break the remainder of head into florets and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the chopped cauliflower, water, carrots, celery and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and whirl until smooth then pour back into the saucepan.
- Add the remaining cauliflower florets, zucchini, lemon juice, salt and spices. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 20 minutes.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Zucchini and Cauliflower Soup Recipes
- Favorite Recipes with 0 Freestyle SmartPoints (Simple Nourished Living)
- Skinny Zucchini Soups (Simple Nourished Living)
- Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup (Simple Nourished Living)
- Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with Beans (Simple Nourished Living)
- Cream of Zucchini Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Cauliflower Soup (Slender Kitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!