Moist and satisfying breakfast cake swirled with cinnamon streusel. A sweet and special way to start the day.
I’m a coffee cake lover. There’s something so indulgent about having cake for breakfast. It’s not something I do all the time, just every once in a while for a special treat.
Some of my favorite coffee cakes are the ones that begin with a yellow cake mix that you sprinkle with streusel layers of cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped nuts. The flavors remind me of the little Drake’s Coffee Cakes I was so fond of as a kid growing up back east.
This quick and easy skinny coffee cake begins with a box of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cupcake Mix which is essentially a 9 ounce cake mix (instead of the standard 18.25 ounce package) designed to make just 12 cupcakes. You can always use half of a standard cake mix instead. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cupcake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpse flour
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- To make the streusel, in a small bow, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans until well combined.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, beat together the dry cake mix, flour, yogurt, water, oil, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scrape ½ the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out evenly.
- Sprinkle ½ the streusel mixture evenly over the batter in the pan. Scrape the remaining batter over the topping, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the streusel topping over the cake batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve while still a little warm.
More Skinny Coffee Cake Recipes from Other Blogs & Websites:
Weight Watchers Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe – sweet & delicious from scratch coffee cake with 5 WW PointsPlus Value found at Weight Watchers
Skinny Raspberry Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe – with just 160 calories, 5.5 g fat, 25.3 g carbs, 1.1 g fiber, 2.9 g protein and 4 WW PointsPlus per serving (1/12th of cake) found at Let’s Get Cooking Blog
Light Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe - with oats, walnuts and cinnamon. Each piece has 8 WW PointsPlus. From Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
Skinny Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe – light, lemony, tender and bursting with blueberries. Each muffin has 7 WW PointsPlus Value. From Nancy Fox at Skinny Kitchen.
Healthy Breakfast Cookie Recipes – with WW PointsPlus Information
Grandma’s Favorite Coffee Cake Recipe – easy yummy from scratch coffee cake with 7 WW PointsPlus Value
Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipes – from my collection and other blogs & websites with WW PointsPlus Information