Cheeseburger soup with all it’s rich, creamy satisfying goodness, is a family favorite that’s easy and delicious.
There’s only one problem.
It’s full of fat and calories!
One recipe I looked at had 795 calories and 74 grams of fat!
Is it possible to make a cheeseburger soup that’s lighter and healthier and and still delicious?
I love magazine articles that focus on “making over” favorite high calorie recipes by making light and healthy switches.
This is what I did recently when my Mom, who is staying with us, said she had a craving for cheeseburger soup.
I made a “Makeover Cheeseburger Soup” instead.
I went on a recipe search and found two makeover cheeseburger soup recipes that looked good, took what I thought was the best from each, and made some additional healthy swaps.
I was able to cut the fat and calories a lot by using extra lean ground beef, non fat milk and reduced fat Velveeta.
We had it for dinner the other night and everyone loved it!
This makeover cheeseburger soup is thick and creamy, with the consistency of a chowder. Comfort food at it’s best. With a few simple side dishes – like bread and a leafy green salad – it makes a satisfying supper.
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups, peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1½ cups non fat evaporated milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ pound reduced fat pasteurized process cheese, cubed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan set over medium, combine the broth, vegetables and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the beef and 1 cup of the milk.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining ½ cup milk until it's smooth, then gradually stir it into the soup.
- Bring to a simmer, cook and stir until thick and bubbly, 2 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the cheese and paprika and stir until melted.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.