We enjoyed this yummy cranberry orange oatmeal bread for breakfast today.
I’ve wanted to make it since I first spotted the recipe well before Christmas. For me the holiday season isn’t complete until I’ve had a slice of cranberry bread or cranberry muffin.
I’ve never had cranberry oatmeal bread, but since I loved the recipe for banana oat bread I made a while back, I decided to give it a go.
I woke up with energy to spare and decided to make it with the bag of cranberries that have been waiting patiently in the fridge. The bread turned out moist and dense and tart and sweet with flecks of orange zest.
Both mom and I loved it! I think this would be delicious baked as muffins too.
Please note that the serving size is small – just 1/2 a slice. And if you’re like me, you may have a hard time not going back for more!
And if this isn’t the recipe for you, I’ve gathered a a few more healthy cranberry bread and muffin recipes at the end of this post. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
- grated peel of 1 orange
- 1-1/4 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- Position an oven rack in the center and heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar until well blended. Stir in the oats, grated orange peel and chopped cranberries until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, orange juice and milk.
- Add the oil mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the heated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then remove from the pan place on the rack to cool completely.
- Wrap the cooled bread and store one day before slicing.
*PointsPlus® for cranberry orange oat bread calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Links to More Cranberry Muffin & Bread Recipes with Weight Watcher’s PointsPlus Values: