Are you looking for an easy healthy banana cookies recipe? I hope you’ll give these delicious healthy banana cookies a go.
They’re adapted from a recipe in Bethenny Frankel’s book, Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting.
If you are looking for tasty healthy banana cookies that are low fat, vegan and gluten free – this is the recipe for you.
In the name of full disclosure, because they are low fat, dairy and egg free – these healthy banana cookies are more like cake or muffin tops than traditional cookies made with lots of butter and eggs; but they’re still very good.
They’re the kind of cookies you can feel good about eating, since they’re filled with good-for-you wholesome ingredients.
I’ve made them twice and everyone who tried them thought they were good – especially my stepson who is allergic to eggs and gluten.
When using bananas in baking, the more overripe (almost black) the better because they are much sweeter. The original recipe called for soy milk and just 1 teaspoon of oil, I used 1 tablespoon of oil and coconut milk, since that’s what I had in the fridge. Use whatever non-dairy milk you like best. I’m sure rice milk or almond milk would work too but I’m a big fan of coconut milk at the moment.
The recipe calls for oat flour. You can make oat flour by pulsing rolled oats in your blender or food processor until it’s the consistency of flour.
- 1-1/2 cups oat flour
- ¾ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ⅓ cup soy milk (I used coconut milk)
- ½ cup banana puree (about 1 medium banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar until well blended and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, milk, banana puree and vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture and banana mixture together just until moistened.
- Make 10 cookies from the batter, spacing them at least one inch apart on the cookie sheet. Flatten them out with damp fingers, since they will not spread as they bake.
- Bake on the center rack for 10 to 12 minutes, until they look done and spring back when gently pressed with your finger.
- Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Links to other blogs & websites:
You might also like…
Banana Oatmeal Cookies – A traditional healthy cookie with flour, butter and eggs
Moist Banana Bread - made with canola oil instead of butter
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Muffins – with whole wheat flour, flax, oil and yogurt
Low Fat Banana Cookies with Coconut & Dates – Soft, chewy and delicious with 2 WW PointsPlus Value