WW Recipe of the Day: Trail Mix Cookies
(222 calories | *8 WW SmartPoints)
I mixed up a batch of these Easy Trail Mix Cookies a few Sundays ago so I could take a picture of them to include in my cookbook, Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies Cookbook .
What makes these easy trail mix cookies ‘easy’ is the fact that they begin with a cake mix.
What makes them so wholesome and delicious is all the things you add: oats, wheat germ, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and peanuts.
By the time I took the first pan of these cake mix trail mix cookies out of the oven, Rod appeared from the den to find out what smelled so good.
Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked cookies? Well, these easy trail mix cookies were no exception. And they tasted as luscious as they smelled.
The Skinny on Easy Trail Mix Cookies
I haven’t tried to “lighten” this recipe for trail mix cookies by substituting applesauce or yogurt for some of the oil. I’m not sure whether I will or not. They are so good just the way they are.
For you Weight Watchers out there, according to my calculations, each large trail mix cookie has 222 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
So, while not exactly “skinny” it, looks pretty darn good when compared to a Panera Chocolate Chipper Cookie, which packs a whopping 380 calories, 19g fat, 51g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g protein and *18 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made these easy Trail Mix Cake Mix Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked them.
Easy Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 package (15 to 18 ounces) yellow or white cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them.
- In a large bowl, beat together the dry cake mix, oil, eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the cinnamon, oats, chocolate chips, peanuts, wheat germ and dried cranberries with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Drop the dough by level 1/4-cupfuls, about 3 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Bake just until the edges are set and the center is still a little soft, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheets for 1 minute before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough, being sure that cookie sheets are cool before using them again.
Source: Favorite Easy Cake Mix Cookies Cookbook by Martha McKinnon
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!