WW Recipe of the Day: Low Calorie Cranberry Walnut Apple Slaw
Here's a fresh and crispy take on coleslaw perfect for fall. Featured in the 10/21-10/27/12 Weight Watchers Weekly, its flavors and textures are a delicious combination of tangy, sweet and crunchy.
I usually don't think about coleslaw much after the end of summer barbecue season. But seeing this recipe caused me to reconsider.
WW Friendly Apple Slaw Recipe Notes
Brimming with ingredients I love - apples, dried cranberries and walnuts - the recipe virtually shouted at me to make it, which I did recently. It was the perfect accompaniment to grilled turkey burgers, but would also go well with chicken, pork or fish.
I made several changes to the recipe mostly to save time and money...
I substituted olive oil for the walnut oil specified. Canola oil would also work well. (Walnut oil is lovely, but expensive and I don't use it enough to justify keeping it around.)
And I used pre-shredded green cabbage from Trader Joe's to save time and scallions instead of shallots, since they were in the fridge.
This is definitely the kind of recipe that works well with additions, subtractions and substitutions.
How Many Calories in this Apple Slaw with Cranberries & Walnuts?
According to my calculations, each serving of this mayo-free apple slaw has about 98 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
The bulk of the SmartPoints in this recipe come from the dried cranberries and honey. To lower the Points, you could substitute your favorite sugar substitute for the honey and decrease or omit the dried cranberries.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Mayo-Free Slaw, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Cranberry Apple Slaw Recipe
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil (I used olive oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded fresh savoy or Napa cabbage (I used shredded green cabbage)
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh jicama
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and coarsely grated
- 2 medium shallots minced or finely grated (I used chopped scallion)
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, oil and salt.
- Add the shredded cabbage, jicama, apples, shallots, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Season to taste with pepper.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here are a few more WW Slaw recipes you might enjoy
- Quick and Easy Asian Slaw with Pineapple using a bag of shredded coleslaw mix and bottled low-fat Asian Ginger dressing (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Asian Peanut Slaw with cilantro and jalapeño (Slender Kitchen)
- Citrus Asian Slaw (Weight Watchers)
- Crunchy and colorful Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw with sesame seeds (SkinnyTaste)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Your recipes fit my lifestyle perfectly. Simple and DEELISH!