Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Cranberry Walnut Apple Slaw
Here’s a fresh and crispy take on coleslaw perfect for fall. Featured in the 10/21-10/27/12 Weight Watchers Weekly, its flavors and textures are a delicious combination of tangy, sweet and crunchy.
I usually don’t think about coleslaw much after the end of summer barbecue season. But seeing this recipe caused me to reconsider.
The Skinny on WW Apple Slaw
Brimming with ingredients I love – apples, dried cranberries and walnuts – the recipe virtually shouted at me to make it, which I did recently. It was the perfect accompaniment to grilled turkey burgers, but would also go well with chicken, pork or fish.
I made several changes to the recipe mostly to save time and money…
I substituted olive oil for the walnut oil specified. Canola oil would also work well. (Walnut oil is lovely, but expensive and I don’t use it enough to justify keeping it around.)
And I used pre-shredded green cabbage from Trader Joe’s to save time and scallions instead of shallots, since they were in the fridge.
This is definitely the kind of recipe that works well with additions, subtractions and substitutions.
According to my calculations, each serving of this mayo-free apple slaw has about 98 calories, *2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Apple Slaw with Cranberries and Walnuts, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Weight Watchers Apple Slaw Recipe
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded fresh savoy or Napa cabbage (I used shredded green cabbage)
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh jicama
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and coarsely grated
- 2 medium shallots minced or finely grated (I used chopped scallion)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, oil and salt.
- Add the shredded cabbage, jicama, apples, shallots, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Season to taste with pepper.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here are a few more Weight Watchers Slaw recipes you might enjoy…
- Quick and Easy Asian Slaw with Pineapple using a bag of shredded coleslaw mix and bottled low-fat Asian Ginger dressing (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Asian Peanut Slaw with cilantro and jalapeño (Slender Kitchen)
- Citrus Asian Slaw (Weight Watchers)
- Crunchy and colorful Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw with sesame seeds (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!