Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Trisha Yearwood Orzo Salad Recipe Made Lighter
I turned on The Food Network this morning to discover Trisha Yearwood making a yummy looking orzo salad.
So instead of going out for lunch with Mom today, I suggested she come here.
Then after a quick trip to the grocery store for orzo (rice shaped pasta) and feta cheese, I got busy in the kitchen.
The Skinny on Trisha Yearwood Orzo Salad Made Lighter
Already pretty light and healthy, I made a few minor tweaks to make this orzo salad a little more Weight Watchers friendly:
- Decreased orzo from 1-1/2 cups to 1 cup
- Increased grape tomatoes from 1-1/2 cups to 2 cups
- Decreased olive oil from 3 tablespoons to 2
- Added 1 cup chopped cucumber and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper for more bulk
- Added 2 tablespoons chopped pepperoncini (mild Italian pickled peppers) for a little more zing
To keep things simple, I simply cooked the orzo in boiling salted water instead of chicken stock as Trisha had done.
Served with a few sautéed shrimp alongside, Mom and I both agreed that this made for a simply scrumptious lunch.
Tangy and fresh, this is definitely a salad I plan to make again.
According to my calculations, each 3/4 cup serving has 180 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this short video to learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle Program:
Lightened Up Orzo Salad Recipe Variations:
- Add chopped cooked chicken or shrimp to turn it into a meal in a bowl
- Add more veg to pump up the volume: Chopped red bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, canned drained artichoke hearts, peas, etc.
- Add Greek Seasoning blend
- Top with Parmesan shavings
Orzo Salad Serving Suggestions:
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Pork Chops or Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Fish or Shrimp
- Grilled Vegetables
- Roasted Chicken
This is how easy it is to create your own Greek orzo salad at home:
More light, healthy delicious salad recipes to consider: Weight Watchers Orzo Salad with Vegetables, Weight Watchers Chickpea and Feta Salad, Chicken Couscous Salad, Chopped Greek Salad, Classic Macaroni Salad Made Lighter and Healthy Crunchy Tuna Salad
Trisha Yearwood Orzo Salad Made Lighter
- 1 cup orzo
- 15 ounces canned chick peas, drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh mint, torn
- Cook the orzo in salted water according to the package directions until done (about 7 to 9 minutes.)
- Drain the orzo in a colander and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together the orzo, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, feta, olives, pepperoncini (if using),vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in the mint.
- Serve at room temperature.
Source: adapted from Trisha’s Table: My Feel-Good Favorites for a Balanced Life by Trisha Yearwood
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pasta Salad Recipes
Summer Pasta Salad with Baby Greens (SkinnyTaste)
Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad (EmilyBites)
Ranch BLT Pasta Salad (SlenderKitchen)
Primavera Pasta Salad with Shrimp (Cookin’Canuck)
Pea & Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad (EatYourselfSkinny)
Greek Orzo Pasta Salad (EmilyBites)
BLT Macaroni Salad (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!