WW Recipe of the Day: Warm Goat Cheese and Fig Salad
(349 calories | *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
It took me all of ten seconds to decide I should attempt a warm goat cheese salad for this month’s Recipe Redux’s Most Memorable Vacation Meal challenge.
Even though it’s been more than a decade, I can still see and taste the original warm goat cheese and fig salad on which this one is based. It just goes to show how powerful food memories can be!
So, where did this food memory take place? In a fancy restaurant?
In a food court. Not just any food court, but the Galeries Lafayette department store food hall, a cross between a gourmet supermarket and food court, in the heart of Paris.
Photo Credit: Flickr – designmatters
I was taking part in a weeklong culinary vacation, called “Unpolished Paris” that forever changed my relationship with food. It was on this trip I vowed to never again settle for tasteless, over-processed diet food. Life is too short and delicious real food too wonderful!
And to try to live my life more like the the slim and elegant French ladies I saw everywhere.
Skinny on Warm Goat Cheese Fig Salad
The flavors and textures of that warm fig and goat cheese salad delighted me in a way food never had done before. It was one of many food memories created that week, for which I am forever grateful.
Up until then I only knew of figs from my beloved fig newtons.
This is my interpretation—as best as I can recall and recreate it—with the ingredients available. I enjoyed this warm fig and goat cheese salad for lunch today and was immediately transported back to that Paris department store lunch counter…
For a mere *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus or *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Fig Salad Dressing
Simply whisk together four everyday ingredients—1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp water and 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard— in a small bowl , to make this goat cheese and fig salad dressing.
If you’ve made this warm goat cheese and fig salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Warm Fig and Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
- 1 tablespoon plus, 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus, 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 small fresh figs, divided
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 4 large handfuls of arugula
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to broil and line a small baking pan with foil.
- While the oven preheats prepare the dressing by whisking together in a small bowl, the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, water and Dijon mustard.
- Remove the tiny top stems from the figs.
- Cut 4 of the figs into quarters from top to bottom, slicing almost but not all the way through, leaving the fig attached at the base. Place them on the prepared baking pan and spread them open.
- Place a teaspoon of goat cheese in the center of each fig.
- Slice the other 4 figs into thin rounds.
- Broil the figs and goat cheese for a few minutes, until the cheese begins to bubble and turn lightly golden. (Check them often to prevent melting/burning.)
- While the figs and cheese are broiling, toss the arugula with the dressing and divide them among 2 salad plates.
- Arrange the sliced figs and dollops of remaining goat cheese on top of the arugula.
- When ready, place two broiled figs on each salad and sprinkle with nuts. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy + Healthy Salads You Might Also Like:
- Kale Salad with Apples and Dates
- Mixed Green Salad with Goat Cheese and Dates
- Pasta Salad with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Arugula
- Pear Blue Cheese Salad
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!