Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Healthy Mulligatawny Soup
(229 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Every time I hear the word “Mulligatawny” I can’t help but think about Seinfeld.
So when I saw this recipe for “Mulligatawnski” Mulligawtawny in The Looneyspoons Collection: Good Food, Good Health, Good Fun! , a big colorful, picture rich cookbook with more than 325 healthy recipes – by Janet and Greta Podleski, I decided to give it a try.
The Skinny on Mulligatawny Soup
Mulligatawny, which literally means “pepper water,” is a traditional curry flavored soup of Anglo-Indian origin, with with a wide variety of interpretations.
This version, with chicken, curry powder, chili powder, ginger, cumin, cloves, brown rice or quinoa, tomatoes, apple, coconut milk and cilantro, sounded especially flavorful. And it was!
Having never eaten or made Mulligatawny before, I have no real basis for comparison. But as far as I’m concerned, I can’t imagine there being one any better.
According to my calculations, each serving of this mulligatawny has about 229 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Mulligatawny, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
The LooneySpoons Collection "Mulligatawnski" Mulligatawny
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (not instant), or quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cilantro or parsley
- In a large pot set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the celery, onions, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the gingerroot, curry powder, chili powder, cumin and cloves. Cook and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, rice, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the apple and simmer until the apple is tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cilantro and continue to cook until heated through.
- Serve hot.
Source: The Looneyspoons Collection: Good Food, Good Health, Good Fun! by Janet Podleski and Greta Podleski
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book to review free from the publisher and have many more recipes tagged that I want to try. Thank You, Hay House.
And here’s a fun Mulligatawny clip from Seinfeld
More Weight Watchers Friendly Soup Recipes
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Easy Hamburger Macaroni Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slimming Garden Vegetable Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Weight Watchers Mulligatawny (BacktotheCuttingBoard)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!