Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Coconut Cookies
These coconut drop cookies are a variation of the old-fashioned brown sugar drops I baked last week.
Adding shredded coconut and nuts to the brown sugar drop cookie dough changes it dramatically.
My mom, who loves coconut almost as much as me, declared these simple coconut drop cookies the best of the three variations we taste-tested. And I'd have to say I agree!
Homemade cookies, like these coconut drop cookies, from old cookbooks are one of my favorite things. Usually, they are not nearly as sweet and rich as more modern recipes.
And they tend to me smaller. So, they are naturally Weight Watchers friendly!
If you like coconut, I think you will love these simple soft and chewy coconut drop cookies.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Cookies?
According to my calculations, each cookie has just 69 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Another favorite coconut cookie recipe is this one for Chewy Coconut Almond Butter Cookies, a new family favorite!
If you've made these Coconut Drop Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Coconut Drop Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup buttermilk or water
- 1 large egg
- 1-¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans would be good)
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter, buttermilk and egg until creamy and well blended. (The mixture may look curdled which is fine.)
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt just until blended.
- Stir in the chopped coconut and nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, position an oven rack in the center of your oven. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I like to line mine with parchment paper.)
- Bake in the center of the oven until almost no indentation remains when touched, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, being sure that the cookie sheets are cool before placing dough on them.
Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook from 1978
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Like These Chewy Coconut Cookies, You Might Also Like:
- Simple Sugar Cookies
- Crackle Spice Drop Cookies
- Old-Fashioned Brown Sugar Drop Cookies
- Old-Fashioned Wheaties Cherry Blinks
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!