Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Brown Sugar Drop Cookies
Here's an old recipe for Betty Crocker Brown Sugar Drop Cookies that was a big hit when I tried it out recently.
I found the recipe in my old 1978 Betty Crocker Cookbook, but am pretty certain it dates back to at least the 1950s.
Described as "one of the most versatile cookie doughs ever tested," with more than a half dozen variations listed, these Brown Sugar Drop Cookies bake up soft and chewy with the flavor of brown sugar.
I divided the batch of dough into thirds, using ⅓ of it to make a dozen of these simple brown sugar drops.
I used the remaining ⅔ to test out a couple of variations - coconut drops and chocolate Special K drops - that I promise to write about soon.[wp_ad-camp_1]
The Skinny on Betty Crocker's Brown Sugar Drop Cookies
The recipe suggests that you ice these Betty Crocker brown sugar drop cookies with a light browned butter sugar glaze, but I wanted something not-too-sweet and was short on time, so skipped it. When I have more time, I plan on making a small batch of the glaze and trying it on a few.
Mom, Rod and I all really liked them. In fact, of the three variations, this was Rod's favorite. He said it reminded him of a cookie he used to eat as a kid 🙂 And since I never mentioned the icing, he didn't even miss it.
With only *3 PointsPlus (*6 SmartPoints) for 2 cookies, they are Weight Watchers friendly too, so I'm going to link them over on Weigh-In Wednesdays with Kim, where my friend, Alyssa, the Everyday Maven is guest-posting.
Betty Crocker Brown Sugar Drop Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup buttermilk or water
- 1 large egg
- 1-¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter, buttermilk and egg until creamy and well blended. (The mixture may look curdled which is fine.)
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt just until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the center of the oven until almost no indentation remains when touched, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, being sure that the cookie sheets are cool before placing dough on them.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Cookie Recipes Made Lighter
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Cookies (Simple-Nourished-Living)
WW Chocolate Chip Cookies (EmilyBites)
Crackle Spice Drop Cookies (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies (DrizzleMeSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!