Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Simple Sugar Cookies
Here's a great plain and simple sugar cookie recipe I hope you'll try. With each passing year, I find myself drawn to recipes that are simple and delicious. And this these old-fashioned sugar cookies totally fit the bill.
I've found - through lots of trial and error - that the healthiest thing I can do is treat myself to a freshly baked cookie once in a while because it satisfies my sweet tooth. I naturally control my consumption of sweets by holding out for things that are only homemade and delicious.
If you have trouble controlling yourself around freshly baked cookies, be sure to make them when you have lots of people around to share them with!
Skinny on Plain + Simple Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies contain the most basic of ingredients and come together in minutes. I was able to mix them and bake them in less time than it would have taken me to run to the store for cookie dough.
Everyone who tries them loves them. And they're versatile too. These cookies are delicious on their own with a cup of tea or glass of milk. They are also a wonderful accompaniment to ice cream or fresh fruit.
Simple Sugar Cookie Recipe Variations
And the recipe can be modified lots of different ways (be sure to adjust your Points if making any additions or substitutions)...
- Feel free to stir ½ cup of nuts, raisins, or coconut into your Sugar Cookie Dough
- Or add a little lemon, orange, or lime zest
- Or make Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies by adding ½ cup of miniature chocolate chips
The directions say that the recipe makes about 50 cookies. When I make them I usually end up with about 36. It's a testament to just how much larger our serving sizes have gotten through the years. And probably explains—at least partly—why we keep getting larger!
The cookbook says to bake the cookies 8 - 10 minutes, but I find it usually take mine about 12 minutes to be done - probably because I make mine a bit larger.
I love these cookies made with 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest added to the dough.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Cookies?
According to my calculations each cookie has 66 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you like these WW friendly cookies, be sure to check out my other easy cookie recipes including Enlightened Wheaties Cookies with Coconut, Sugar-Free Apple Almond Cookies, Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies, Strawberry Shortcake Cookies and Molasses Cookies
If you've made this Simple Sugar Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Plain & Simple Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Position one of your oven racks in the middle and preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Alternatively, use ungreased cookie sheets for baking these easy sugar cookies.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. (This will take several minutes.)
- Add the egg, vanilla, cream or milk and beat thoroughly. (Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary, to make sure all ingredients are well blended.)
- Add the flour mixture and with the mixer on low speed, stir until the mixture is just blended.
- Arrange by teaspoonfuls on the prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, one cookie sheet at a time on the center oven rack, for 8 to 12 minutes until lightly golden around the edges.
- When done, remove from the oven and transfer the cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, being sure to allow cookie sheets to cool completely before using them again. (I often rinse the backsides under cool water to speed up the process.)
This recipe is from The Supper Book by Marion Cunningham, who also authored the old Fannie Farmer Cookbook I received as a wedding gift more than 25 years ago. The directions say that the recipe makes about 50 cookies. When I make them I usually end up with about 36. It's a testament to just how much larger our serving sizes have gotten through the years. And probably explains - at least partly - why we keep getting larger! The cookbook says to bake the cookies 8 - 10 minutes, but I find it usually take mine about 12 minutes to be done - probably because I make mine a bit larger. I love these with a 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest added to the dough. Serving size: 1 cookie Click here to see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site. 3 *SmartPoints (Green plan) 3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan) 3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan) 2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Source: The Supper Book by Marion Cunningham
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Plain & Simple Sugar Cookie Recipes from around the Web
- Sugar Cookies - A simple recipe for cookie cutter sugar cookies found at Real Simple
- Simple Sugar Cookies - found at King Arthur Flour
- Grain-Free Sugar Cookies - found at Eat Yourself Skinny
- Skinny Sugar Cookies - found at SkinnyKitchen
- My Favorite Sugar Cookies - found at Pioneer Woman
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!