Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna
Here’s a perfect recipe for Meatless Mondays: Skinny Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna.
Yes, you can make lasagna in the slow cooker.
Every time I make lasagna I think of my dad. He wasn’t a very adventurous eater, but he liked lasagna.
I love how I can feel closer to him when I cook and/or eat his favorite foods. Food has such a power to connect us.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna
I adapted this slow cooker spinach lasagna recipe slightly from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker.
I added drained and squeezed dry chopped spinach.
And used cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Like my mom always did when we were growing up.
Mom gave this slow cooker spinach lasagna an enthusiastic thumbs up.
Rod ate it without complaint. Rod never complains about what I cook. Am I lucky or what?
But it wasn’t a favorite. He’s not really a red sauce guy.
So, next time I think I’ll make this slow cooker spinach lasagna with an alfredo sauce, which will make him much happier.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 360 calories, *9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *11 SmartPoints.
Under the updated Freestyle Plan at Weight Watchers, this is now *10 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this short video to learn a little more about Weight Watchers Freestyle:
Not bad when you consider that a single serving of Olive Garden’s Lasagna Classico (lunch) has 640 calories and 22 SmartPoints, according to Weight Watchers Tracker.
The Olive Garden Dinner Classic Recipes Lasagna Classico has 930 calories and 32 SmartPoints – yikes!!
This video shows how easy it is to make another version of crock pot lasagna with fresh spinach:
This easy and delicious skinny slow cooker spinach lasagna is perfect for meatless Mondays.
- 4-1/2 cups fat-free meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 cups 16 ounces non fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- In a large bowl, stir together the spaghetti sauce and water.
- Make sure your spinach is as dry as possible.
- In another bowl, mix together the spinach, cottage cheese, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning and garlic powder, until well blended.
Spray your crock pot insert with nonstick cooking spray. (I used my 4-quart CrockPot. The recipe says to use a 4- or 5-Quart.)
- Spread 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with 1/3 of the noodles, breaking them to fit.
- Spread the noodles with 1/3 of the spinach and cheese mixture, making sure the noodles are covered.
- Repeat the layers two more times.
- Spread your slow cooker spinach lasagna with the remaining sauce.
Cover and Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheeses. Cover and let stand 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *9
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: *11
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *10
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!