(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day 14)
Here’s a perfect recipe for Meatless Mondays: Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna.
Yes, you can make lasagna in the slow cooker.
Every time I make lasagna I think of my dad. He wasn’t a very adventurous eater, but he liked lasagna.
(I love how I can feel closer to him when I cook and/or eat his favorite foods. Food has such a power to connect us.)
I adapted this slow cooker spinach lasagna recipe slightly from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker.
I added drained and squeezed dry chopped spinach.
And used cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Like my mom always did when we were growing up.
Mom gave this slow cooker spinach lasagna an enthusiastic thumbs up.
Rod ate it without complaint. (Rod never complains about what I cook. Am I lucky or what?) But it wasn’t a favorite. He’s not really a red sauce guy.
So, next time I think I’ll make this slow cooker spinach lasagna with an alfredo sauce, which will make him much happier.
- 4-1/2 cups fat free, meatless spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup water
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (16 ounces) non fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles
- In a large bowl, stir together the spaghetti sauce and water.
- Make sure your spinach is as dry as possible.
- In another bowl, mix together the spinach, cottage cheese, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning and garlic powder, until well blended.
- Spray your Crock Pot with nonstick cooking spray. (I used my 4-quart CrockPot. The recipe says to use a 4- or 5-quart.)
- Spread ¼ of the sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with ⅓ of the noodles, breaking them to fit.
- Spread the noodles with ⅓ of the spinach and cheese mixture, making sure the noodles are covered.
- Repeat the layers two more times.
- Spread your slow cooker spinach lasagna with the remaining sauce.
- Cover and Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheeses. Cover and let stand 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker spinach lasagna calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.