Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage
Cook Yourself Slim with 50 of my favorite slow cooker recipes all with PointsPlus & SmartPoints!
I spied this recipe for Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork in September/October issue of Taste of Home magazine and immediately decided I wanted to give it a try. It seemed almost too simple – just pork shoulder, bacon, salt and cabbage – slow cooked for hours until fall-apart-tender. It’s supposed to taste just like the pork slow roasted underground all day in Hawaii. (In Hawaiian, “kalua” means “to cook underground in an oven.”) And is so much easier than digging a pit in your backyard.
Have you had real Hawaiian kalua pork?
I’ve been to Hawaii a few times but have no recollection of kalua pork. I remember the sunsets, tropical breezes, scent of plumeria, sweet juicy pineapple, but not the pork. I’ve even been to a luau or two, so there’s really no excuse, except perhaps, one too many mai tais!
So, while I have no idea how kalua pork is supposed to taste, I can vouch that we all thought this slow cooker version was absolutely delicious.
Skinny on 4-Ingredient Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork and Cabbage Recipe
I’ve since discovered, thanks to a bit of google research, that many slow cooker kalua pork recipes use liquid smoke instead of bacon to mimic the smoky taste from the underground cooking. This would decrease the fat and calories a bit, and is something I may try next time.
I served ours on rice with roasted carrots on the side. We thought it was great and Mom gave it an enthusiastic endorsement too. This Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork would be delicious on buns, in tortillas or in lettuce wraps too.
According to my calculations based on the nutritional information provided for the recipe each serving has 227 calories and *6 Weight Watchers Points Plus, 5 SmartPoints Enjoy!
- 7 bacon strips, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (about 3 pounds) well trimmed of all excess fat
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6 Quart
- Line the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with four bacon strips. Sprinkle all side of the well-trimmed pork roast with salt and place it in the slow cooker on top of the bacon. Arrange remaining bacon over top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or until the pork is tender when pierced with a fork.. Add the cabbage, spreading it around and on top of the roast. Cook, covered, 1-1-1/4 hours longer or until cabbage is tender.
- Remove pork to a serving bowl and shred it with two forks. Using a slotted spoon, add cabbage to the pork and toss to combine. If desired, skim fat from some of the cooking juices remaining in the slow cooker and stir into pork mixture or serve on the side.
Source: Taste of Home Magazine, September/October 2015
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Yummy Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Recipes for Pork:
If you’re finding that cooking in the crock pot is becoming your thing, like it is mine, you might want to consider an upgrading your slow cooker to the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, which is easy-to-use and super-sized for family-meals or the Cuisinart 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker if you’re cooking for one or two.
Check out my ebook of 50 Favorite Weight Watchers Friendly Slow Cooker Recipes…
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.