WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage
(227 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
I spied this recipe for Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork in the Sept/Oct issue of Taste of Home magazine and immediately decided I wanted to give it a try.
It seemed almost too simple – just pork shoulder, bacon, salt and cabbage – slow cooked for hours until fall-apart-tender.
It’s supposed to taste just like the pork slow roasted underground all day in Hawaii. (In Hawaiian, “kalua” means “to cook underground in an oven.”) And is so much easier than digging a pit in your backyard!
Have you had real Hawaiian kalua pork?
I’ve been to Hawaii a few times but have no recollection of kalua pork.
I remember the sunsets, tropical breezes, scent of plumeria, sweet juicy pineapple, but not the pork.
I’ve even been to a luau or two, so there’s really no excuse – except perhaps, one too many mai tais!
So, while I have no idea how kalua pork is supposed to taste, I can vouch that we all thought this slow cooker version was absolutely delicious.
Skinny on 4-Ingredient Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork and Cabbage
I’ve since discovered, thanks to a bit of google research, that many slow cooker kalua pork recipes use liquid smoke instead of bacon to mimic the smoky taste from the underground cooking. This would decrease the fat and calories a bit, and is something I may try next time.
I served ours on rice with roasted carrots on the side. We thought it was great and Mom gave it an enthusiastic endorsement too.
This Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork would be delicious on buns, in tortillas or in lettuce wraps too.
According to my calculations based on the nutritional information provided for the recipe, each serving has 227 calories and *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this easy, Hawaiian slow cooker kalua pork, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Peachy Pork, Steph’s Happy Kid Slow Cooker Pork Chops, Crock Pot Pork with Apple Butter, Crock Pot Pineapple Pork and Mom’s Crock Pot Tomato Soup Pork Chops
If you’ve made this Low-Carb Kalua Pork, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Hawaiian Slow Cooker Kalua Pork & Cabbage Recipe
- 7 bacon strips, divided
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (about 3 pounds), well trimmed of all excess fat
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), coarsely chopped
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6 Quart.
- Line the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with four bacon strips. Sprinkle all side of the well-trimmed pork roast with salt and place it in the slow cooker on top of the bacon. Arrange remaining bacon over top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until the pork is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add the cabbage, spreading it around and on top of the roast. Cook, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours longer, or until cabbage is tender.
- Remove pork to a serving bowl and shred it with two forks.
- Using a slotted spoon, add cabbage to the pork and toss to combine.
- If desired, skim fat from some of the cooking juices remaining in the slow cooker and stir into pork mixture, or serve on the side.
Source: Taste of Home Magazine, September/October 2015
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This AllRecipes video shows how to make another version of Slow Cooker Kalua Pork:
More Yummy Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Recipes for Pork:
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker Apple Bacon BBQ Pulled Pork (EmilyBites)
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Sugar Pork Tenderloin (SlenderKitchen)
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Cranberries & Leeks (Cookin’Canuck)
- Crock Pot Balsamic Pork Roast (SkinnyTaste)
If you’re finding that cooking in the crock pot is becoming your thing, like it is mine, you might want to consider an upgrading your slow cooker to the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker, which is easy-to-use and super-sized for family-meals or the Cuisinart 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker if you’re cooking for one or two.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!