Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Foil Wrapped Fish
(156 calories | *0 WW SmartPoints)
Today’s recipe is really more of a “slow cooking technique” than an actual recipe.
I got the idea from Steph over at A Year of Slow Cooking.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Foil-Wrapped Fish
It’s now my favorite go-go slow & easy way to prepare fish for several reasons:
- It turns out moist and flavorful with mush less risk of overcooking.
- It doesn’t heat up the house on a hot day.
- It doesn’t stink up the kitchen.
- It’s customizable. Let everyone season their fillets the way they want.
- Clean-up is a breeze.
You just place each serving of fish on a sheet of aluminum foil. Season it as you like. Wrap up the fish in the foil, creating a packet.
Layer the packets of fish in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1.75 to 2.0 hours, or on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
Be sure to check the fish at the earlier time to avoid overcooking. Your fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
The packets on the bottom will cook at the same rate as the packets on top.
I used salmon this time. Any fish fillet will work – salmon, haddock, flounder, sea bass, cod, snapper, tilapia, etc.
Slow Cooker Foil-Wrapped Fish Seasoning Ideas:
- Thin slices of lemon and dill
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Curry powder
- Garam masala
- Cajun seasoning blend
- Old Bay seasoning blend
- Mrs. Dash
- Seasoned salt
- Honey mustard
- Chopped fresh herbs – basil, parsley, dill, etc.
The calories and Weight Watchers points will vary depending on the kind of fish, portion size and seasonings you select.
Under Weight Watchers New Freestyle Plan, most fish (including salmon) now has *0 SmartPoints per 3 ounces cooked serving – assuming no oil or butter is used.
According to my calculations, one 3-ounce serving of salmon has about 156 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *0 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
If you like this idea for slow cooker foil-wrapped fish, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly fish recipes including 5-Ingredient Glazed Salmon, Baked Fish with Lemon & Herbs, Asparagus Salad with Salmon and Egg, Crock Pot Salmon & Asian-Style Veggies and Prosciutto-Wrapped Cod
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Foil-Wrapped Fish, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Simple Slow Cooker Foil-Wrapped Fish Recipe
- 1 fillet (about 3 ounces cooked) of your favorite fish (I used salmon - haddock, founder, sea bass, cod, snapper, tilapia, etc. will also work well)
- Seasoning, as desired
- Place each serving of salmon (or your fish of choice) on a sheet of aluminum foil. Season it as you like. Wrap the salmon in the foil, creating a packet.
- Layer the packets of fish in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1.75 to 2.0 hours, or LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Check it at the earlier time to avoid overcooking. Your fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. The packets on the bottom with cook at the same rate as the packets on top.
Source: A Year of Slow Cooking by Stephanie O’Dea
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
See how to make your foil baked fish with vegetables
More Weight Watchers Friendly Fish Recipes
- Easy Grilled Fish Fillet in Foil Packets (SkinnyTaste)
- Cajun Shrimp in Foil (SkinnyTaste)
- So-Fancy Fish Pack (HungryGirl)
- Salmon Cooked in Foil (SnackGirl)
- Foil-Wrapped Salmon with Ginger & Soy Sauce (Cookin’Canuck)
Watch this video to see how simple it is to make your own crock pot fish with fresh asparagus
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!