Today I'm sharing an easy east-meets-southwest recipe for Skinny Asian Pork Tacos for Two. Lean ground pork mixed with an easy Asian marinade, quickly stir-fried, stuffed into small corn tortillas and topped with a simple crunchy slaw.
Walking through the street markets of Danang, Vietnam, I remember a taco look-a-like that reminds of me of this dish. The taco shell was made of rice but the seasonings, pork, slaw and taste were pretty similar to this.
It's addicting so watch out!
When you're look for an excellent low calorie way to enjoy a tasty and different Taco Tuesday, this quick & easy dish could be way to go. Stir together soy sauce, ginger, garlic and rice vinegar, that are available in most markets, into a tasty Asian marinade.
Combine lean ground pork with the marinade, give it a quick sauté and you'll have delicious hand held dinner or lunch, read in minutes.
If time is really short, make the meat mixture up to 1 day in advance and it will take only a few minutes to cook and assemble the tacos.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Asian Street Tacos?
According to my calculations, each serving has 168 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
3 of the 5 SmartPoints in this dish, come from the corn tortillas. To lower the WW SmartPoints even more, substitute your favorite one large low carb tortilla for the 3 3-inch corn street taco tortillas. Or opt to turn these tacos into Asian lettuce wraps instead.
How to Make Asian-Inspired Pork Tacos
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the green onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and cayenne in a medium size bowl.
Add the pork and mix well to incorporate all the spices.
Step 3: Stir together the Stevia and rice vinegar in a small cup.
Step 4: Place the coleslaw and cilantro in a bowl and stir in the sweetened vinegar, mixing well.
Step 5: Heat an 8-inch skillet. If the pork is very lean, then spray the pan before adding the meat to the skillet. Brown the meat for about 5 minutes over medium heat or until the pork is firm, browned and fully cooked.
Step 6: Spray a paper towel with water lightly and wrap the tortillas in the towel. Microwave for 20 to 25 seconds or until soft and hot.
Step 7: Fill the tortillas with 1 large spoonful pork each. Top the tacos with the seasoned slaw and serve hot.
Pork is the traditional meat for these Asian-style tacos, however the dish works very well with ground beef also.
Rather than regular coleslaw mix, tri-colored slaw can be substituted or even plain white or red or shredded cabbage works fine.
If you really like to kick up the spice, then serve the traditional Korean condiment kimchi. Kimchi is essentially fermented cabbage with a variety of spices and other vegetables, like onions, radish and garlic.
Otherwise choose rice and or a small bowl of beans and pico de gallo. Sliced papaya, mango or a fruit salad would easily round out the meal.
Ways to Use Leftovers
Since this is a recipe for two leftovers will be minimal. Any leftover mixture can be reheated for an additional taco, or two, the next day. Cover and heat in a microwave for about 30 seconds or until warm.
Leftover marinated coleslaw is delicious as is. The slaw will have wilted a bit, but still has a delicious sweet sour flavor that can be added to the taco or tossed into another lunch salad.
If you've made these Asian Tacos with Pork, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Asian Pork Tacos
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 packet Truvia, Stevia, or other 0 calorie sweetener
- 1-½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 ounces lean ground pork
- 3 cups prepared coleslaw mix in a bag
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 6 small (3-inch) corn tortillas
Prepare the Pork for the Tacos
- In a medium size bowl, mix the green onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and cayenne until well blended. Add the ground pork and mix well to incorporate all the spices.
Make the Coleslaw for the Tacos
- Make the dressing by stirring together the Stevia and rice vinegar in a small cup.
- Place the coleslaw and cilantro in a bowl. Pour on the sweetened vinegar dressing and toss well to combine.
Cook the Pork
- Heat an 8-inch skillet. If the pork is very lean, then spray the pan with nonstick spray before adding the meat to the skillet. Brown the meat over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes or until the pork is firm, browned and fully cooked.
Warm the Tortillas
- Spray a paper towel with water lightly and wrap the tortillas in the towel. Microwave for 20 to 25 seconds, or until soft and hot.
Assemble the Tacos
- Divide the cooked pork evenly between the warmed tortillas.
- Top the tacos with the seasoned slaw and serve hot.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these Asian-Style Pork Tacos, you might also like
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Tacos
- Spice-Rubbed Shrimp Tacos
- Healthy Taco Salad
- Southwest Taco Skillet (Freezer Meal)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!