Does this sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta look challenge worthy to you?
I received a great package of pasta and olive oil from the folks at Delverde Pasta. Along with an invitation to “Dish Your Blog with Delverde” for a chance to win a trip to NYC.
This is sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta is the recipe I submitted. I think it’s delicious. But, I’m not sure it’s contest worthy. Competitive cooking is not my strong suit. (I crumble under pressure. Just ask my high school tennis coach 🙂
Fortunately, I get great joy from cooking to nourish and comfort, not to impress. And I’m having loads of fun with the generous gift, which included cuts of pasta you just don’t find in the typical grocery store: mezzi rigatoni, bucatini and spinach tagliatelle nests. Along with a bottle of lovely Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I decided to use the mezzi rigatoni in my sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta dish. And I tried to keep it simple to let the pasta really shine. I think I succeeded. Though, it was a little late by the time I finally snapped a photo.
I really loved this simple sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta. Rod did too. He took one bite and said, “What kind of pasta is this. It’s really good. What cut is this.”
Huh? I forget that he once was on the board of a pasta company here in Arizona and that he has toured pasta plants in Italy. He knows a thing or two about pasta. All pasta is not created equal. And his reaction confirmed this. The taste and texture of quality pasta is such a delight!
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Skinny on Sausage Cherry Tomato Spinach Pasta
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cup serving has 375 calories and *10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces pasta (I used Deleverde mezzi rigatoni)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage with feta and spinach, removed from casings and crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Cook pasta in well salted water according to the package instructions.
- While the water is coming to a boil and pasta is cooking, make the sauce:
- In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add the sausage, cook, breaking it up into small bits, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened. Remove lid and continue to cook, for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach a handgul at a time till wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add drained pasta to the sausage mixture. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with feta cheese.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this sausage, cherry tomato spinach pasta, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Disclosure: This recipe is posted as an entry in the Delverde DISH YOUR BLOG recipe contest to try to win a trip to NYC. I received free sample products in addition to the opportunity to compete for the prize.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.