WW Recipe of the Day: Sausage, Cherry Tomato and Spinach Pasta
(375 calories | *11 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Does this sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta look cooking contest challenge worthy to you?
I received a great package of pasta and olive oil from the folks at Delverde Pasta. Along with an invitation to “Dish Your Blog with Delverde” for a chance to win a trip to NYC.
This is sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta is the recipe I submitted. I think it’s delicious. But, I’m not sure it’s contest worthy. Competitive cooking is not my strong suit. (I crumble under pressure. Just ask my high school tennis coach :-))
Fortunately, I get great joy from cooking to nourish and comfort, not to impress. And I’m having loads of fun with the generous gift, which included cuts of pasta you just don’t find in the typical grocery store: mezzi rigatoni, bucatini and spinach tagliatelle nests.
I decided to use the mezzi rigatoni in my sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta dish. And I tried to keep it simple to let the pasta really shine. I think I succeeded. Though, it was a little late by the time I finally snapped a photo.
I really loved this simple pasta dish with chicken sausage, cherry tomatoes and spinach. Rod did too. He took one bite and said, “What kind of pasta is this. It’s really good. What cut is this.”
Huh? I forget that he once was on the board of a pasta company here in Arizona and that he has toured pasta plants in Italy. He knows a thing or two about pasta.
All pasta is not created equal. And his reaction confirmed this. The taste and texture of quality pasta is such a delight!
Skinny on Sausage, Cherry Tomato and Spinach Pasta
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cup serving has 375 calories, *10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *11 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Sausage Cherry Tomato Spinach Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta (I used Deleverde mezzi rigatoni)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage with feta and spinach (removed from casings and crumbled)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook pasta in well salted water according to the package instructions.
- While the water is coming to a boil and pasta is cooking, make the sauce:
- In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add the sausage, cook, breaking it up into small bits, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened. Remove lid and continue to cook, for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach a handgul at a time till wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add drained pasta to the sausage mixture. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with crumbled feta cheese.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this Rigatoni Pasta with Sausage, Cherry Tomato & Spinach, you might also like:
- Weight Watchers Tomato Chicken Feta Pasta
- Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta Fagioli
- Weight Watchers Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage and Kale
Disclosure: This recipe is posted as an entry in the Delverde DISH YOUR BLOG recipe contest to try to win a trip to NYC. I received free sample products in addition to the opportunity to compete for the prize.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!