I am not a big fan of beets but I do know they are very nutritious. In addition to being high sources of vitamins A, B and C, beets are also high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, iron, beta-carotene and folic acid – just to name a few.
It is true that beets are high in sugar, but they are also low in calories and may help to lower your blood pressure, boost your stamina, fight inflammation and help with detox.
I spotted this recipe for red beet hummus in the April issue of Cooking Light. I loved the color and the fact that it was topped with crumbled blue cheese and walnuts made it all the more appealing.
The Skinny on Red Beet Hummus
Each 3 tablespoon serving has about 90 calories and 3* Weight Watchers PointsPlus®
I served this beet hummus with fresh baby carrots and sliced jicama, but it would also be good with baked pita chips or your favorite whole grain cracker.
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium beet
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove
- Wash and peel the beet with a vegetable peeler. Wrap the beet in microwave-safe parchment paper and cook on HIGH for about 3 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove beet from paper and let stand for 5 minutes and cut into quarters.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, chickpeas, beet, salt, water, honey and garlic to your food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
Recipe Source: Cooking Light, April 2015
*PointsPlus® for this Red Beet Hummus recipe calculated by Simple Nourished Living; not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Kitchen Tools Used To Make This Hummus
More Dips and Spreads You Might Like
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.