WW Recipe of the Day: Avocado & Grapefruit Salad Made Lighter
(237 calories | 7 7 7 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I can’t seem to get enough of this deliciously easy avocado and grapefruit salad lately. Full Disclosure: It’s actually Ina Garten’s Avocado & Grapefruit Salad Recipe from her Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home – made lighter and healthier.
I love Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. Everything I make from them turns out perfectly.
While her dishes are delicious, most of them are anything but light. That’s where I have fun lightening them up to make them more Weight Watchers friendly.
This avocado and grapefruit salad is a great example. In her headnote she explains that she first had this salad at a very elegant restaurant in Paris and that she “loved both it’s simplicity and the synergy between the avocados and the grapefruit.”
Avocado & Grapefruit Salad Recipe Notes
I totally agree, now that I’ve tasted it. Before that, I was suspicious. While I love both avocados and grapefruits, I wasn’t at all sure I would like them together. It turns out I LOVE them together!
When I ran the recipe through my nutrition software and the Weight Watchers recipe builder, I was shocked to discover that the recipe as written has 493 calories, 47.2 g fat, 20.5 g carbs, 10.1 g fiber, 3.4 g protein and *14 Weight Watchers PointsPlus value. (That’s almost half my daily allotment of PointsPlus values and I’m on maintenance)
Granted it’s all healthy stuff: avocados, grapefruit, and olive oil. But too much healthy food will pack on the pounds too.
The excessive fat and calories are mostly due to:
- the amount of avocado used, and
- an excessive amount of dressing used to dip the avocado halves so they don’t get brown
I created a lighter healthier version by changing the ratios of grapefruit and avocado, and skipping the step of dipping each avocado half in dressing.
If you are concerned that your avocado slices will turn brown on you, simply dip them in lemon juice instead.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Avocado & Grapefruit Salad?
These little changes resulted in a salad with 237 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Now it’s a Grapefruit and Avocado salad I can indulge in regularly without guilt.
If you like this Avocado Grapefruit Salad, be sure to check out my other WW Friendly Recipes including Mixed Greens & Strawberry Salad with Chicken, Goat Cheese & Avocado, Pear & Blue Cheese Salad, Simple Cucumber Melon Salad, WW Carrot Salad with Raisins and Skinny Broccoli Salad
If you’ve made this Grapefruit Avocado Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Ina Garten's Avocado and Grapefruit Salad Makeover
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large ruby red grapefruits
- 2 firm but ripe Hass avocados
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- Slice the peel and white pith off the grapefruits and then cut between the membranes to release the grapefruit segments.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and peel off the skin. Cut the halves into slices.
- Arrange the grapefruit segments on a large platter or 4 small plates. Arrange the avocado slices with the grapefruit.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.Watch this video and see how to make your own Grapefruit Avocado Salad with Spicy Cilantro Vinaigrette:
Links to More Avocado and Grapefruit Recipes from other Blogs & Websites:
- Avocado Grapefruit Salsa (Gooseberry Mooseberry)
- Grilled Shrimp, Pink Grapefruit & Avocado Salad (Country Living)
- Summer Salad with Grapefruit, Avocado & Bacon (Food52)
- Shrimp, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad (Cooking Light/MyRecipes)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!