Nana’s crunchy jumbles are one of my favorite cookies from childhood that have stood the test of time. I love these crunchy jumbles now as much as I did back then.
Did you know October 1 is Homemade Cookies Day or that October is National Cookie Month?
On a more serious note, October is also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
So in honor of my 91-year-old grandmother, a breast cancer survivor, I made a batch of her crunchy jumble cookies today.
They are a simple old-fashioned cookie made chewy, crunchy and sweet with rice crispies and raisins.
She got the recipe from her sister-in-law, My Great Aunt Esther, decades ago and makes them a few times a year.
Can you imagine still baking in your 90s? I hope to be “-) There is something so sweet and satisfying about baking and sharing cookies, I hope I never have to quit.
You should get about 48 crunchy jumbles from a batch. Each 2-cookie serving has 120 calories and *3 Weight Watchers Points Plus
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rice crispies
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line them with parchment. (My cookies turn out better since I switched to parchment years ago.)
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Blend in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the rice crispies and raisins.
- Drop by teaspoons onto the prepared pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer them with a spatula to a rack to cool completely. (Or enjoy warm)
Cooking Notes: The recipe calls for either Rice Crispies or Special K. I used what was in the pantry - crispy brown rice cereal and white wheat flour instead of all-purpose.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Nana’s Crunchy Jumble Cookies you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.