WW Recipe of the Day: Gluten-Free Cherry Date Nut Balls
(199 calories | 10 10 10 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I came across this recipe for cherry date nut balls recently in the Delicious Living magazine put out by Whole Foods.
They were perfect because we were having friends and family over for dinner and I needed a gluten-free desert. These fit the bill and they can also be made vegan by using vegan chocolate chips - which I did.
I served these date balls along with this amazing slow cooker chocolate-raspberry sauce and fresh strawberries for dipping.
It wasn't my intention, but many people actually enjoyed dipping not only the strawberries, but also the cherry nut bites into the warm chocolate sauce. It was a really decadent way to end a lovely evening!
Be sure to read to the bottom and see how Dede makes her own sticky date nut balls. This is a slightly different recipe, but as she mentions, either of these recipes can be personalized with your favorite substitutions.
Skinny on Gluten-Free Cherry Date Nut Balls
A delicious and easy raw food dessert loaded with healthy omega-3's, antioxidants and fiber thanks to the walnuts, dark chocolate and dates.
According to my calculations, each serving (2 cherry nut bites) has about 199 calories and:
10 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
10 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
10 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made these Gluten-Free Cherry Date Nut Bites, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Cherry Date Nut Balls
- 2 cups dried sour cherries
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- ⅔ cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, plus some for rolling
- Finely chop cherries, dates and walnuts. Add to large mixing bowl.
- Stir in orange juice, cinnamon, chocolate chips and 4 tablespoons shredded coconut.
- Mix by hand until mixture thoroughly combined and sticks together. (You may need to add an additional chopped date or more orange juice to reach desired consistency).
- Add extra coconut to a shallow dish.
- With clean and slightly wet hands, roll mixture into bite-size balls - about the size of whole walnut shell.
- Roll balls in extra coconut, if desired.
- Place in airtight container and refrigerate until firm.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Yield: about 24
Source: Recipe adapted from Delicious Living.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Sticky Medjool Date Ball Recipe
If you like this no-cook gluten-free dessert, you might also like:
- Chocolate Peanut Pie in a Mug
- Low Calorie Coffee Jello
- Creamy Grape Salad Dessert
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!