(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 116)
My little 6 cup bundt pan fits perfectly in my 6-Quart slow cooker, so I’m having fun baking mini bundt cakes.
If you’re a Weight Watcher who can get in trouble in the company of too much cake or have a small family, you may want to consider investing in one.
It’s the perfect size for making half batch versions of standard 12-cup Bundt cake recipes, like this slow cooker lemon cake, which I adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!: With 160 All-New Recipes.
Some stores carry packages of cupcake mix (9 ounces) which is the perfect size, but if you can’t find them you can always weigh out half a box of the standard (18.25 ounces) cake mix. (If you’re a Weight Watcher, I’m guessing you have a scale )
This slow cooker lemon cake uses applesauce in place of oil, so it’s lighter too. Each little slice has just 176 calories and *5 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- Nonstick spray, for coating the pan
- Flour, for dusting the pan (I like to use the spray with flour in it)
- 1 lemon
- 1 package (9 ounces) plain yellow or vanilla cupcake mix (or half 18.25 ounce cake mix)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon gelatin
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Place a coil of aluminum foil or 3 metal rings from glass canning jars in the bottom of a large 6 or 7-Quart slow cooker. (This will act as a trivet for your cake pan to sit on.)
- Lightly mist a 6-cup mini bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, then dust it with flour. Shake out the excess flour and set the pan aside.
- Rinse and pat the lemon dry with a paper towel.
- Grate 1 teaspoon of lemon zest into a large mixing bowl for the cake and set 1 teaspoon aside for the glaze.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice, setting aside 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for the glaze.
- Pour the remaining lemon juice into the mixing bowl with the lemon zest.
- Add the cake mix, dry lemon gelatin, applesauce, hot water and eggs into the mixing bowl with the lemon zest and juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the batter is smooth, about 2 minutes more. (The batter should look thick and creamy.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared mini bundt pan. Smooth out the top with the rubber spatula.
- Place bundt pan in the slow cooker.
- Place a chopstick or wooden spoon handle at one end of the slow cooker to vent the lid. (The slow cooker should be covered but propped open a crack at one end.)
- Bake on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or until, the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Carefully remove the pan from the slow cooker and place it on a rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a long, sharp knife around the edges of the cake, shake the pan gently, and invert the cake onto a cake plate.
- To make the glaze, stir together the reserved lemon zest and juice with ¼ cup confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add 2 to 3 additional drops of water if it is too thick.
- Spoon the glaze evenly over the warm cake so that it drizzles down the side and into the center.
- Cut into 8 even slices and enjoy warm or let cool completely.
- The cake can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to one week.
Source: recipe for slow cooker lemon cake adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns!: With 160 All-New Recipes
If you liked this slow cooker lemon cake you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker lemon cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.