(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 76)
Here’s an easy slow cooker bean barley soup, healthy and satisfying, that comes together in minutes and can simmer in the crock pot for hours.
It’s perfect for this hectic time of year.
To save time in the morning , you could toss everything into the crock of your slow cooker the night before and refrigerate until morning. Then pop it into the slow cooker before setting off for the day.
To turn this into a vegetarian slow cooker bean barley soup, use vegetarian baked beans in tomato sauce and vegetable broth, instead of beef.
According to my calculations, each cup of this low fat high fiber thick and hearty slow cooker bean barley soup has 154 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Though probably technically NOT, I would also consider this a Simply Filling food too, but I’m in maintenance mode.
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) beans in tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 cups beef or vegetable broth
- ½ cup pearl barley, rinsed
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- In your slow cooker, combine the beans, potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, broth, barley and nutmeg.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender and soup is bubbling.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Source: Slightly adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites
If you liked slow cooker bean barley soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker bean barley soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Here’s what I used to make this easy and delicious slow cooker bean barley soup!