(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 74)
The season for indulging in hot cocoa is short here in Phoenix.
So, when the temperatures dipped into the 30s and 40s for several days recently, I took the opportunity to make a small batch of caramel crock pot hot cocoa.
The secret ingredient?
A little bit of caramel filled milk chocolate, which I just happened to have tucked away in the pantry, stirred in just before serving.
Surprisingly rich, sweet and creamy, considering it’s made with dry nonfat milk powder, this crock pot hot cocoa was the perfect way to take off the chill while indulging my sweet tooth.
- 1 cup dry skim milk powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 ounce chocolate covered caramel-filled candy bar
- Whipped cream or mini marshmallows, optional
- Sprinkle of cocoa powder, optional
- I used my 1-1/2-Quart slow cooker.
- In a slow cooker, combine the skim milk powder, cocoa and sugar. Slowly add the water while whisking to avoid lumps.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 4 hours, or until hot.
- Break chocolate bar into pieces and add to the hot cocoa. Stir until completely melted.
- To serve, ladle into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and/or sprinkle of hot cocoa, if desired.
Cooking Notes: Using dry skim milk powder, helps the hot cocoa hold up for hours in the slow cooker without curdling. For an adult version, when serving, add a shot of brandy or Irish cream to the mug
Source: Adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna Marie Pye.
If you liked caramel crock pot hot cocoa you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for caramel crock pot hot cocoa calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!