(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day – Easy Chai Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup 42)
Looking for a way to use up a cup of pumpkin puree sitting in the fridge, I decided to make a half-batch of this easy chai slow cooker pumpkin soup.
It’s adapted from one in Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2 that caught my eye.
(With all this daily use of the crock pot I’m working to make smaller batches of recipes wherever it seems to make sense and the kitchen math is easy.)
Skinny on Easy Chai Crock Pot Pumpkin Soup
I loved the idea of using a chai tea bag to season this crock pot pumpkin soup. Don’t worry it didn’t taste like tea at all
I used my super duper Vita Mix blender to puree it to silkiness and even splurged with the suggested 1/4 cup of cream which equates to just 1 tablespoon per serving.
(In fact, after reading this article, with the following quote that jumped off the screen at me, I’ve decided to play with adding more fat into my diet to see what happens. So you’ll be seeing a little more liberal use of olive oil, butter, full fat cheese and cream around here for a while:
- In a 1992 editorial published in the Archives of Internal Medicine,6 Dr. William Castelli, a former director of the Framingham Heart study, stated:
“In Framingham, Mass., the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person’s serum cholesterol. The opposite of what… Keys et al would predict…We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active.”)
A warming soup perfect for chilly fall days, this easy chai crock pot pumpkin soup would be a nice addition to Thanksgiving dinner too.
Each cup of this cream satisfying chai crock pot pumpkin soup has 142 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 *chai-flavored tea bag
- ¼ cup heave cream
- Salt and pepper
- Place the onion, garlic and oil in a small bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Scrape the onion mixture into your slow cooker. (I used my 2-Quart.)
- Add the broth, pumpkin puree, sugar and tea bag.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook until the flavors meld, about 4 to 5 hours on LOW.
- Remove the tea bag.
- Carefully, puree small batches of the soup in your blender, until smooth. Be sure to fill the blender not more than two-thirds full and hold the cover of your blender in place with a folded dish towel to prevent it from exploding and burning you with hot soup! Pulse quickly a few times before blending continuously.
- Return the pureed chai crock pot pumpkin soup to your slow cooker. Stir in the cream and let it sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- If the soup seems to thick, add a little more broth to thin it to desired consistence.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking Notes: *use ¼ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground cardamom for the chai teabag if desired.
Source: Slightly adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2
*PointsPlus® for this crock pot pumpkin soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this chai crock pot pumpkin soup you might also like:
Here’s what I used to make this easy and delicious crock pot pumpkin soup!