(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day 12)
I think this crock pot artichoke chicken is the best thing I’ve made in the slow cooker so far.
It turned out so tender and flavorful.
But, I’m partial to the ingredients: artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and Kalamata olives.
I cooked it in my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System, which Mom surprised me with last Christmas. (I’m very lucky to have such a generous mom.)
The original crock pot artichoke chicken recipe called for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I have trouble with breasts drying out in the slow cooker, unless I’m very, very careful. Which often I’m not.
We much prefer boneless, skinless thighs in the slow cooker. They stay moist and tender with less babysitting. And have more flavor.
But, it’s totally your call. (I’ve included the nutritional estimates for both.)
Three generations of eaters loved this dish. We four adults all gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up. Even the 2-1/2 year old grand baby gobbled up the chicken without the sauce.
These are Weight Watchers size servings. It would be easy to eat two servings of this crock pot artichoke chicken because it is so delicious.
I will definitely be making this again.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (I used thighs) (Each piece of chicken should be about 4 ounces each.)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (14 ounces) quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup nonfat chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coat the ceramic insert of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, onion, olives, broth, wine, tapioca, parsley, basil and thyme. Pour mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW, 4 to 6 hours or until fork tender. (Mine were fork tender at 4 hours so I switched the ninja to warm for several hours till dinner.)
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving 1 breast and ¾ cup artichoke mixture: 165 calories, 3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein and *4 PointsPlus
If you liked this crock pot artichoke chicken recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
Skinny & Delicious Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
Low Fat Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
Slow Cooker Cider Braised Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Beer and Herbes de Provence
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.