I was craving salad for lunch yesterday. I wanted something light, yet tasty and satisfying. For me a nice big salad usually fills the bill. I’m a huge fan of salad, especially at lunch. It’s a great way to fill yourself up with a healthy dose of fresh vegetables and fruit.
But for a salad to really satisfy me it’s got to have enough interesting flavors and textures for my taste buds to say, “YUM,” not scream “DIET.” This means including ingredients with big flavors – nuts, seeds, dried fruit and/or strong cheeses – in moderate quantities as a garnish. And most of the time I opt for a tasty homemade dressing made with healthy oils and flavorful vinegars or citrus, instead of nonfat bottled dressing.
So, as I was walking Francie I found my mind wandering to what I had available to turn into a satisfying salad. This is what I came up with: mixed greens, chopped Pink Lady apple, Craisins, chopped toasted walnuts and shredded Kerrygold Irish Cheddar Cheese tossed with a simple vinaigrette.
Providing a combination of crunchy, crispy, savory, sweet, and chewy flavors and textures, I found every bite a delight. Being able to savor my lovely lunchtime creation on the patio under brilliant blue skies with birds providing background music didn’t hurt either
(Through the years I’ve discovered that paying attention to how and where I eat is just important as what I eat when it comes to living happy, healthy and slim.)
This salad of mixed greens, apples, Irish Cheddar, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts has 5 or 7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus values depending on how you do your counting.
- 2-3 cups of mixed salad greens
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ medium pink lady apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon vinaigrette (I used a homemade vinaigrette from Jacques Pepin)
- ½ ounce Kerrygold Irish Cheddar, shredded (or your favorite Cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Place the salad greens in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the chopped apple and dried cranberries.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss well to combine.
- Place in a serving dish and top with shredded Cheddar and toasted walnuts.
(without the apple and lettuce included): 178 calories, 17.2 g fat, 1.9 g carbs, 0.8 g fiber, 5.4 g protein and 5 PointsPlus
More Weight Watchers Friendly Salads
Healthy Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries
Italian Arugula Salad
Mixed Greens with Strawberries, Goat Cheese, Avocado and Chicken
Mesclun Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
Warm Goat Cheese and Fig Salad