This French carrot salad of shredded carrots in a simple lemon dressing was inspired by my sister who is staying with us. She hates cooked carrots and I wanted to make something for this week’s 38 Power Foods Group post that everyone would enjoy.
(Fridays, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, is posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
If you haven’t seen the book, it’s definitely worth taking a peek, especially if you’re trying to eat healthier. The 38 Power Foods are categorized into 5 chapters: 1) Vegetables; 2) Fruits; 3) Grains and Legumes; 4) Nuts and Seeds; and 5) Eggs, Yogurt and Fish. In addition to several recipes for each ingredient, there’s interesting health information, along with buying, storing, and preparation tips.
We are now up to #8, Carrots, on the alphabetical list of vegetables.
It turns out Bugs Bunny was right, chomping on carrots is a good thing to do for your health. They’re full of fiber, vitamin C, and beta- carotene, which your body converts into vitamin A, a nutrient essential for healthy skin and night vision. Carrots are richer in carotenoids than any other vegetable too, helping to protect you from cancer, heart disease and cataracts.
Because beta-carotene is fat soluble, it’s best to eat them with a little healthy oil so your body can more fully absorb the nutrients, making this French carrot salad recipe a naturally delicious & healthy choice.
Skinny on French Shredded Carrot Salad
I slightly adapted this simple French shredded carrot salad, Carrottes Rapees, from one of my latest cookbook acquisition, The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day. I used only 1 tablespoon of olive oil, instead of 2, giving it a Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value (PPV) of 2.
We all loved it so it’s going into my regular rotation salad and vegetable rotation.
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and grated into long thin strips (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, chives or a combination
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the carrots in a medium-size glass bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sugar and mustard until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots.
- Add the parsley and/or chives.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to suit your tastes.
- Chill the salad for at least 30 minutes to give the flavors a chance to blend and toss again before serving.
*PointsPlus® for Simple French Shredded Carrot Salad calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
For more great delicious carrot recipes, check out the blogs of these fabulous food-blogging ladies who are participating in the 38 Power Foods group today:
Alyce More Time at the Table, Ansh - Spice Roots, Jeanette - Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill - Saucy Cooks, Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits, Sarah - Everything in the Kitchen Sink, Casey - Bookcase Foodie, Bambi – Adobo Down Under