Layers of tangy nonfat Greek yogurt, sliced fresh strawberries, and granola spooned into a glass is a fun, healthy and delicious way to start the day.
These strawberry yogurt granola parfaits will fill you up without weighing you down.
But, I need to be honest here. Layered fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits are not something I make during the week.
They’re just a little too fussy.
Monday through Friday, I just dump the yogurt, berries and crunchy cereal (saving the granola for a special weekend treat) into a bowl…
Though, not as attractive, it tastes just as good and saves a few minutes.
But on the weekends, when I have a little more time, I like to fancy things up a bit. And these strawberry, yogurt and granola parfaits do the trick.
To keep them light and healthy, it’s important to choose your ingredients carefully. There are huge variations in the amount of fat, calories and PointsPlus values among yogurts and cereals, especially granola. I’m a huge fan of nonfat Greek yogurt. If you’re not, just choose your favorite yogurt and adjust the PointsPlus values accordingly.
Another trick is to drizzle your honey, maple syrup, or agave over the yogurt instead of stirring it in, so you can really taste it and be satisfied with less.
And go heavy with the low PointsPlus value fruit and light with the granola, which adds great flavor and crunch, but can be high in PointsPlus values. So use just a sprinkle.
And if you are feeling especially ambitious, you can even make your own homemade granola. It’s a treat, but not something I do all the time.
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple syrup or agave
- 2 tablespoons low-fat granola
- Spoon half the yogurt into a glass.
- Drizzle the yogurt with half the honey.
- Sprinkle with the granola.
- Top with half the berries.
- Repeat with the remaining yogurt, honey, and berries.
- Serve immediately to prevent the granola from getting soggy.
If you liked this post and recipe for Strawberry yogurt granola parfaits, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for Magical Yogurt Breakfast Cream (6 PointsPlus)
- My post and recipes for light and healthy blueberry muffins
- Pina Colada Breakfast Parfaits (Eating Well)
- Sweet Spiced Berry Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits (Weight Watchers)
- Cooking Light’s Blueberry and Maple Pecan Granola Parfaits (MyRecipes)