Here’s a quick and easy Mediterranean pasta with tuna tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon, parsley and oregano you can make in 30 minutes or less.
I made it last night for dinner while Rod tossed together a simple salad. It was a big hit.
The recipe is slightly adapted from a one I spied in my favorite cookbook of the moment, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury, of Enlightened Cooking.
Skinny on Mediterranean Pasta with Tuna and Tomatoes
Camilla’s version calls for multigrain or whole wheat farfalle and olives, but no capers. Since I haven’t found a gluten-free version of farfalle, I used Fresh & Easy brown rice fusilli instead. (I think it’s just as good as Tinkyada Brown Rice Fusilli and a little cheaper.) And since I was short on kalamata olives, I used a combination of capers and olives instead.
Each serving has 274 calories and *7 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 8 ounces fusilli (spiral) pasta (multigrain, whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
- ¼ cup pitted brine-cured black olives (like kalamata), quartered
- ¼ cup brine-cured capers, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) water-packed tuna, undrained
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving ¼ cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes with their juice, olives, capers, and the reserved pasta water.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then stir in the pasta and tip in the tuna (liquid and all).
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another minute, stirring to combine and break up the tuna into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir in the parsley, oregano, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste and then toss again.
*PointsPlus® for Mediterranean Pasta with Tuna and Tomatoes calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this Easy Mediterranean Pasta with Tuna and Tomatoes, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta (8 PointsPlus)
- My post and recipe for Weight Watchers friendly Pasta Puttanesca (8 PointsPlus)
- Weight Watchers Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe (Recipe Girl)
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.