Here’s a quick and easy Mediterranean-inspired pasta dish with canned tuna, diced tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon, parsley and oregano. If you’re a fan Mediterranean cooking, you’ll love this quick and easy pasta that you can make in 30 minutes or less.
I made it last night for dinner while Rod tossed together a simple salad. It was a big hit.
The recipe is slightly adapted from a one I spied in my favorite cookbook of the moment, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury, of Enlightened Cooking.
Camilla’s version calls for mulitgrain or whole wheat farfalle and olives, but no capers. Since I haven’t found a gluten-free version of farfalle, I used Fresh & Easy brown rice fusilli instead. (I think it’s just as good as Tinkyada Brown Rice Fusilli and a little cheaper.) And since I was short on kalamata olives, I used a combination of capers and olives instead.
- 8 ounces fusilli (spiral) pasta (multigrain, whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
- ¼ cup pitted brine-cured black olives (like kalamata), quartered
- ¼ cup brine-cured capers, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) water-packed tuna, undrained
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving ¼ cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes with their juice, olives, capers, and the reserved pasta water.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then stir in the pasta and tip in the tuna (liquid and all).
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another minute, stirring to combine and break up the tuna into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir in the parsley, oregano, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste and then toss again.
If you liked this Easy Mediterranean Pasta with Tuna and Tomatoes, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta (8 PointsPlus)
- My post and recipe for Weight Watchers friendly Pasta Puttanesca (8 PointsPlus)
- Weight Watchers Spaghetti Bolgnese Recipe (Recipe Girl)