Have you ever made mini meat loaf muffins?
Meat loaf is comfort food at it’s best. It’s comforting to eat and it’s also comforting to cook – probably because it’s so simple. All you need to make meat loaf is a bowl, and a pan and maybe a knife and a spoon – if you don’t like to mix it with your hands.
There’s nothing really new or exciting about meat loaf – which for me is a big part of it’s appeal
The best meat loaf recipes have been around for decades. My current favorite has just 6 ingredients – it’s a modification of Lipton’s Souperior Meat Loaf made with a package of dry onion soup mix – a staple in my Mom’s pantry when I was growing up.
Using a package of soup mix ensures that your meat loaf will be full of flavor without all the work involved with peeling and chopping onions.
To make my meat loaf a little skinnier and healthier, I use quick cooking oats instead of bread crumbs, egg whites instead of whole eggs, and diced tomatoes instead of water.
I also like to bake them in muffin tins instead of a loaf pan. By making small meat loaves in a muffin tin, you speed up the cooking time – These little loaves need just 20 to 30 minutes to cook through – instead of the hour plus for a standard loaf. I think they look a little nicer too.
Each mini meat loaf muffin has 255 calories and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. Add some skinny mashed potatoes and peas or green beans to round out your dinner.
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef (7% fat or less)
- 2/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes with juice
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 ounce envelope of dry Lipton Onion Soup mix
- ½ cup chopped green pepper, optional
- extra ketchup for brushing on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, except the extra ketchup, and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 even portions and form these into balls. Lightly press the balls into 8 cups of a standard 12-cup muffin tin.
- Brush the tops of the “muffins” with ketchup, if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops have browned and the meat loaves have cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
More Meat Loaf Recipes
Paula Deen Meat Loaf Recipe – a winning recipe for meat loaf that calls for diced tomatoes and oats
Basic Meat Loaf with Bread Crumbs – a simple basic recipe for meat loaf that can be modified in lots of ways