Here’s a healthy ground beef recipe that’s sure to please the entire family. It does mine.
It’s a lighter healthier take on a a recipe called Family Burrito Bake from the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker Cookbook, that’s already pretty healthy.
Because it’s made with corn tortillas – not flour – this quick & easy healthy dish is really a ground beef enchilada casserole or Mexican lasagna.
It’s a simple, easy and delicious dinner made from ingredients many people keep stocked in their kitchen.
Skinny on Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
The original recipe has 340 calories calories and 9 WW PointsPlus Values – not terrible for such a hearty satisfying dish. I was able to slim it down by 2 pointsplus values, by using fat free refried beans, using reduced fat cheese and cutting the amount of cheese in half.
Isn’t it great to be able to satisfy your cravings for Mexican food without guilt?
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons low sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican corn, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chunky salsa
- 6 corn tortillas (10 inches each)
- 1 can nonfat refried beans
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated reduced fat Monterey Jack or Mexican style cheese blend
- Chopped fresh tomato and chopped fresh green onions for garnish, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mist a large skillet set over medium heat with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic and beef to the skillet, breaking up the beef and stirring until the beef is browned and onion is softened. Drain the beef mixture. Stir in the taco seasoning, corn and 1 cup of the salsa and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the refried beans and water until smooth and spreadable.
- To assemble, spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 2 tortillas over bottom of the dish. Cut one tortilla to fill any gaps as layers are assembled. Spread ⅓ beans evenly over tortillas. Top with ⅓ beef mixuture and ⅓ of the cheese. Repeat layers one time. Arrange remaining 2 tortillas over cheese. Top with remaining beans and beef mixture.
- Cover and bake in 400 degree oven until hot about 25 minutes. Remove foil and top evenly with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest and set for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh tomato and green onions if desired.
*PointsPlus® for slim healthy ground beef enchilada casserole calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Healthy Mexican Casserole Recipes from Around the Web
Black Bean Tortilla Casserole – Very tasty and healthy with lots of veggies, 246 calories, 7 g fat and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values from Taste of Home.
Enchilada Lasagna – Layers of Ground turkey, cheese and corn tortillas combine for a tasty casserole with 282 calories, 11 g fat and 8 WW PointsPlus from Taste of Home.
Taco Noodle Bake – Lighter, healthier casserole of noodles, ground turkey and taco seasonings with 312 calories and 8 PointsPlus Values from Taste of Home.
La Bamba Casserole - Green chiles, ground turkey, corn beans and Mexican inspired spices in a light and tasty casserole with 344 calories and 8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
And here’s a great video demonstrating making Weight Watchers Mexican Lasagna…