Chocolate mousse is a classic dessert that has retained its popularity through the decades.
And one of my favorite ways to indulge my chocolate cravings.
I don’t eat it often, but when I do, I go for the real thing made with chocolate, butter, vanilla, eggs, sugar, and cream.
I’ve got two of my favorite chocolate mousse recipes for you. The first calls for raw eggs. If this is a concern, I’ve also got a second eggless chocolate mousse recipe, that’s also delicious.
With about 200 calories per serving, these chocolate mousse recipes, are definitely worth indulging in every now and again!
Chocolate Mousse Recipe #1 – Classic Chocolate Mousse with Raw Eggs
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into coarse chunks
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee, brandy, rum, orange liqueur, or coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream, chilled
- Whipped cream for serving, optional
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave until melted and smooth, stopping to whisk the mixture often. This will take from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time, making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next one. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a medium mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer on low speed until they are foamy. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to whip while slowly adding in the sugar, until the egg whites are glossy and form soft peaks. (Soft peaks will bend or droop slightly downward from the tip of the whisk or beater when it is held up.)
- Whisk one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate mixture, until no large streaks of egg whites remain.
- Place the chilled cream in a medium mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer set on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mousse.
- Spoon the mixture into individual wine/dessert goblets or a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe #1 – With Marshmallows
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into fine pieces
- ¾ cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, cook the marshmallows, milk, and chocolate over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is melted and smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chocolate marshmallow mixture to a medium bowl and place it in a larger bowl filled with ice water. Whisk often until cool and thickened, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the chilled cream and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, until just a few white streaks remain.
- Spoon the chocolate mousse into individual goblets or a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 6 hours and up to 2 days.
Source: The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, Heavy-Duty Revised EditionMore Chocolate Mousse Recipes from around the Web
- Julia Child’s Perfect Chocolate Mousse Recipe from acclaimed pastry chef, David Lebovitz, who calls this the best chocolate mousse recipe he has ever made.
- Amaretto-Spiked Chocolate Mousse Recipe – a dairy free vegan chocolate mousse that uses soy milk and tofu from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks.
- How to Make Chocolate Mousse Video that clearly demonstrates all the steps and techniques for making traditional chocolate mousse in case you want more visual guidance.
- Ellie Krieger’s Healthy Chocolate Mousse – using silken tofu, chocolate and cocoa powder with lots of good reviews
If you liked this chocolate mousse recipe you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for chocolate mousse recipes calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!