WW Recipe of the Day: Watermelon Agua Fresca
(57 calories | *3 WW SmartPoints)
I scored a ripe, sweet and juicy seedless watermelon at the market yesterday for less than $2. As soon as I got home, I whipped up a pitcher of Watermelon Agua fresca.
Have you ever tried it?
What is Aguas Frescas?
Aguas frescas is a light, refreshing fruit drink popular throughout Mexico, as well as here in Mexican markets and restaurants.
A terrific thirst quencher on a hot summer day, it's made by blending fruit with water, a bit of sugar and a little lime juice.
More diluted than a watermelon smoothie, be sure to use only sweet, juicy melon, or your watermelon agua fresca won't have much flavor.
Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe Notes
This Watermelon Agua Fresca is so refreshing, you'll want to make it all summer.
It's a nice change from plain water, and much less sweet and caloric than straight juice or soda.
A great thirst quencher, Rod enjoyed two glasses while cooling off following an intensive yard work session.
Cantaloupe could easily be substituted for watermelon if you prefer.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 57 calories, *2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Because this is a "drink," you are supposed to count the points in the fruit. This is what Weight Watchers suggests, but of course, how you count points is ultimately your call.
If you like this easy + refreshing summer drink recipe, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Homemade Lemonade, Low-Fat Carrot Cake Smoothie, Fat Flush Juice, Cantaloupe Smoothie and Strawberry Apple Pear Juice
Weight Watchers Friendly Watermelon Aguas Frescas Recipe
- 4 cups cubed, seedless ripe watermelon (be sure it's nice and sweet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (substitute honey or agave nectar), or to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh mint for garnish, if desired
- Blend the watermelon and 1-½ cups of the water, the lime juice and the sugar at high speed until smooth.
- Strain through a medium strainer into a large pitcher or bowl. (I sometimes skip this step.)
- Stir in the remaining 1-½ cups water.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or longer.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour in the watermelon agua fresca.
- Garnish with a mint sprig, if desired.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how easy it is to make your own version of Watermelon Aguas Frescas at home:
More Weight Watchers Recipes Using Watermelon:
- Watermelon Feta Salad (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Watermelon-Jalapeño Gazpacho (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Indian-Spiced Tilapia with Watermelon Salsa (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Two-Ingredient Watermelon Ice Cream (SlenderKitchen)
- Watermelon Feta Salad & Balsamic "Pizzas" (SkinnyTaste)
- WW Watermelon Margaritas (RecipeDiaries)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!