Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Watermelon-Jalapeño Gazpacho Recipe with Feta Cheese adapted from Daphne Oz.
I have a new favorite gazpacho recipe, this Watermelon-Jalapeño Gazpacho with Feta from Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun by Daphne Oz.
Up until recently, if you had asked me, I would have said that for the effort this Quick and Easy Chunky Weight Watchers Gazpacho was pretty hard to beat.
But that was before I picked up a copy of Relish at Costco last Sunday.
The Skinny on Watermelon Jalapeño Gazpacho
Thumbing my way through it, this was the first recipe that caught me eye (and the only one I’ve tried so far, but if it’s any indication, there are lots of yummy recipes ahead).
Scanning down the recipe list, I realized I had most everything I needed and ingredients I could easily substitute for the rest, so I decided to whip me up a batch for lunch.
Never having combined watermelon and tomatoes before I was a little hesitant, but with temperatures soaring up past 110°F here in Phoenix, the idea of a cool and refreshing soup outweighed my apprehension. And I was rewarded deliciously for my willingness to try something new!
Again, it’s amazing that something so flavorful can be whirred together in the blender in minutes, for so few calories and Points. Talk about a Weight Watchers dream recipe! The only source of points comes from a cup of tomato juice and the optional garnish of Feta cheese, which you could easily skip.
Everyone who has tasted this Watermelon-Jalapeño gazpacho has loved it, except Mom. (There’s one in every crowd!) Rod, who has never been thrilled by gazpacho, took some down to the restaurant he manages to get some professional feedback. Two days later and they’re still talking about it!
I made a couple adjustments based on what I had on hand. First, I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh. Unless you grow your own or shop at the farmer’s market regularly, you may want to do the same.
I also used V-8 juice instead of tomato juice because it was in the pantry and getting into a steamy car that had been baking in 115°F degree sunshine to go to the grocery store would have defeated the whole purpose.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 123 calories, *3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this watermelon gazpacho, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Watermelon-Jalapeno Gazpacho with Feta
- 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped (I used 14 ounces diced canned instead)
- 2 cups cubed, seedless watermelon
- 2 medium seedless or English cucumbers, peeled and chopped (I used Persians, keeping the skin)
- 3/4 cup diced sweet Vidalia onion
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced (discard the seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup tomato juice (I used V-8)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese for garnish
- Hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce for garnish optional
- Toss the tomatoes, watermelon, cucumbers, onion, jalapeño, garlic, parsley, mint, vinegar, lime juice and tomato juice and into a blender, or food processor, and process until it's the consistency you want. (I prefer my gazpacho on the slightly chunky side.)
- Season to taste with salt.
- Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop. (I stored mine in quart-sized mason jars in the refrigerator and enjoyed it for several days.)
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and garnish with feta. Serve with hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce on the side, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Recipes for Easy + Healthy Gazpacho
- Easy Weight Watchers Chunky Gazpacho (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Gazpacho Salad (Weight Watchers)
- Gazpacho (Simply Recipes)
- Ina Garten’s Gazpacho (The Food Network)
Linked at: This Gal Cooks
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!