WW Recipe of the Day: Spicy Sesame Cucumber Salad
This simple cucumber salad pairs well with anything from the grill—from burgers, to chicken breast to fish. Smashing the cucumbers before chopping them into pieces does required a little extra effort, but honestly not that much. And it's a lot more fun too!
Why even bother to smash the cucumbers? Why not just slice them?
Smashing your cucumbers before slicing allows them to absorb more of the flavors in the Sambal Oelek (or the chili garlic sauce), vinegar, sesame oil and garlic. The internal structure of the cuke is essentially softened and mangled, resulting in lots of jagged and rough edges, more natural cucumber juice being released and more surface area for soaking up additional flavors.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Low Carb Spiced Cucumber Salad?
According to my calculations, each serving has 33 calories and:
1 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
1 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Make Spicy Sesame Cucumber Salad
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Whisk the rice vinegar, sesame oil, Sambal oelek, salt and garlic in a medium mixing bowl.
and press down hard (using both hands and full bodyweight, if necessary, being careful to avoid the knife slipping)
until the cucumber breaks into 4 or 5 jagged lengthwise pieces.
Separate these pieces and crosscut them into 1-inch chunks. Repeat with remaining cucumbers.
Step 4: Combine the cucumber chunks with the dressing and toss until thoroughly coated.
Step 5: If not serving right away, cover and chill in the refrigerator.
Step 6: Before serving, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top.
Step 7: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Either Sambal Oelek or Chili Garlic Sauce works well in this recipe. They are very similar, except for the addition of garlic in the chili garlic sauce. Both of these sauces are a bit more chunky than Sriracha and much less processed.
To toast your sesame seeds, add them to a small skillet and heat over medium heat until golden (stirring continuously to prevent burning), about 4 to 5 minutes.
Alternatively, you can place your sesame seeds in a small rimmed baking dish and heat in the toaster oven, or oven, until golden brown, stirring occasionally to keep them from burning.
Makes a great addition to any barbecue or potluck table. Pairs well with your favorites from the grill—burgers, chicken breast, fish, etc.
If you've made this Chili Spiced Cucumber Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Spicy Sesame Cucumber Salad
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (or chili garlic sauce)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound mini Persian cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Whisk the rice vinegar, sesame oil, Sambal oelek, salt and garlic in a medium mixing bowl.
- Place cutting board on a solid, flat surface. Remove ends from one cucumber. Place flat edge of chef's knife over entire cucumber and press down hard (using both hands and full bodyweight, if necessary, being careful to avoid the knife slipping) until the cucumber breaks into 4 or 5 jagged lengthwise peices. Separate these piecess and crosscut them into 1-inch chunks. Repeat with remaining cucumbers.
- Combine the cucumber pieces with the dressing and toss until thoroughly coated.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the top and serve.
- If not serving right away, cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the top.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: Weight Watchers
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Spicy Smashed Cucumber Salad, you might also like
- WW Sliced Cucumber Salad
- Simply Filling Orange Cucumber Salad
- Layered Mediterranean Salad
- WW Friendly Cucumber Melon Salad
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!