WW Freestyle Recipes: Layered Salad Mediterranean Salad with Skinny Creamy Cucumber Yogurt Dressing
Looking for a flavorful, filling salad that works as a side dish or a main course? This colorful, low calorie, flavorful salad is a winner.
It is easy to make, filling and full of the fresh sunny flavors of the Mediterranean. A simple do-it-yourself salad that looks and tastes like a gourmet restaurant one! It's a big hit every time I make it.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Mediterranean Salad?
According to my calculations each generous 2-cup serving has only 113 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Are Chickpeas and Garbanzo Beans the Same?
This salad gets a boost of fiber and protein from chickpeas—which are also called garbanzo beans. While the two names seem unrelated, they are in fact the same bean/legume.
Although chickpeas have been eaten in the Middle East for almost 10,000 years, they've been called different names across many cultures.
Garbanzo happens to be the Spanish term, while chickpea is the common English term—though both names are used interchangeably here in the US.
WW Layered Mediterranean Salad Recipe Notes & Serving Suggestions
Layering salad ingredients is a simple easy way to create a salad special enough to serve to guests. Toss the salad at the table right before serving for best results.
This recipe makes 6 generous servings. To make a smaller amount perfect for 2 or 3, just divide all your ingredients in half and proceed with the recipe, which is what I do on days I want to enjoy it for lunch.
Serve as a satisfying side along with roast chicken or lamb or grilled shrimp or fish.
This recipe can be modified any number of ways...
Low-Fat Mediterranean Salad Recipe Variations & Additions:
different herbs: chopped fresh parsley, dill, basil and/or mint would all work well
different vegetables: chopped celery, carrot, radish, and/or artichoke hearts would all be nice
brighter: add a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice or splash or two of red wine vinegar
heartier: add chopped cooked chicken or turkey, canned tuna, chopped hard boiled egg, or cooked shrimp
salad in a Jar: Use ⅙th of ingredients and layer as follows: dressing, chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber, olive, red pepper, lettuce, feta.
zestier: add chopped peperoncini or banana pepper
If you've made this Zero Point Layered Mediterranean Salad please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Layered Mediterranean Salad
- 1 cup plain fat free yogurt (I substituted Greek yogurt for thicker dressing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- ½ cup peeled and chopped English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup canned chick peas, rinsed and drained (aka: garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced English Cucumber
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 8 medium kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Make the creamy cucumber dressing:
- In a medium size bowl, combine the first seven ingredients (yogurt through mint leaves) until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate, at least 30 minutes, until ready to serve.
Make the salad:
- Layer ingredients in a large glass bowl in the following order: red pepper, half of lettuce, chickpeas, onion, remaining lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, spoon the yogurt dressing over top of the salad. garnish with feta and olives. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve.
Source: Weight Watchers
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More simple salad recipes you might also like:
- Skinny Grilled Chicken Greek Salad
- Skinny Chopped Greek Salad
- Greek Turkey Feta Salad in a Jar
- WW ChickPea and Feta Salad
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!