Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cooking Day 180 – Slow Cooker Pot Roast Italian Style
CLICK HERE FOR MORE EASY & DELICIOUS CROCK POT RECIPES FOR WEIGHT WATCHERS!
I first posted this Slow Cooker Pot Roast Italian Style recipe way back on October 21, 2011. Back then everyone raved about it. And it remains one of my favorite pot roast recipes to date.
The wonderful Italian flavor comes from simmering the roast for hours in red wine and tomatoes until it’s fork tender.
Classic comfort food, hearty and homey, simple and delicious.
Which is why I needed to be sure to include this slow cooker Pot Roast Italian Style in my Year of Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cooking.
I found the recipe in Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You’ll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead, by Diane Phillips, and modified it only slightly.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Pot Roast Italian Style
The key to keeping this Italian pot roast lighter and healthier is using an eye of the round roast, which is very lean so it’s considered Simply Filling.
And since there are no bones and virtually no fat, it keeps it’s shape during the long slow cooking.
The sauce is loaded with lots of healthy low calorie vegetables including onions, garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes.
This luscious slow cooker Italian pot roast is perfect served over slimmed down Parmesan mashed potatoes, but it also would be great with pasta or polenta.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Or for a great Simply Filling option, arrange thin slices of beef around the outside of a platter. Fill the center of the platter with a green vegetable such as sauteed spinach, steamed green beans, roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus.
Spoon a little bit of sauce over the meat and serve the rest on the side.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 pound Eye Round Roast
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dired rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- Sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper over the roast and rub them in.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides, cooking 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and place it in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and rosemary to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato mixture and beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and place it on a platter or cutting board and loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- If you want a thicker, more concentrated sauce, transfer it to a saucepan and bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Skim off any fat the accumulates on top of the sauce.
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You’ll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this Slow Cooker Pot Roast you might also like:
Company’s Coming Slow Cooker Roast
Weight Watchers Italian Slow Cooker Beef and Lentil Stew
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Sauce
Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef (On my list to try from Emily Bites)
Crock Pot Italian Meatball Soup
Today’s Food for Thought…
If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.
~ Lao Tzu
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.