WW Recipe of the Day - Slow Cooker Pot Roast Italian Style
I first posted this Italian-Style Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe way back on October 21, 2011. Back then everyone raved about it. And it remains one of my favorite pot roast recipes to date.
The wonderful Italian flavor comes from simmering the roast for hours in red wine and tomatoes until it's fork tender. Classic comfort food, hearty and homey, simple and delicious.
Which is why I needed to be sure to include this slow cooker Pot Roast Italian Style in my Year of Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cooking.
I found the recipe in Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You'll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead, by Diane Phillips, and modified it only slightly.
Slow Cooked Pot Roast Italian Style Recipe Notes
The key to keeping this Italian pot roast lighter and healthier is using an eye of the round roast, which is very lean so it's considered Simply Filling.
And since there are no bones and virtually no fat, it keeps it's shape during the long slow cooking.
The sauce is loaded with lots of healthy low calorie vegetables including onions, garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes.
This luscious slow cooker Italian pot roast is perfect served over slimmed down Parmesan mashed potatoes, but it also would be great with pasta or polenta.
Or for a great Simply Filling option, arrange thin slices of beef around the outside of a platter. Fill the center of the platter with a green vegetable such as sauteed spinach, steamed green beans, roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus.
Spoon a little bit of sauce over the meat and serve the rest on the side.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Italian Pot Roast?
According to my calculations, each serving has 260 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
If you like this Italian-style slow cooker pot roast, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly crock pot recipes including Easy-Peasy Pot Roast, Company's Coming Slow Cooker Roast, Beef with Mushroom Sauce, Italian Beef & Lentil Soup and Italian Meatball Soup
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you've made this Crock Pot Italian-Style Roast, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast Recipe
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 pound Eye of Round Roast
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- Sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper over the roast and rub them in.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides, cooking 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and place it in the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and rosemary to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Stir the wine and tomatoes into the vegetable mixture, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato mixture and beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW until the meat is fork-tender, about 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and place it on a platter or cutting board and loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- If you want a thicker, more concentrated sauce, transfer it to a saucepan and bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Skim off any fat the accumulates on top of the sauce.
Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You'll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead by Diane Phillips
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Slow Cooker Roast Recipes
- Crock Pot Balsamic Pork Roast (SkinnyTaste)
- Lower Carb Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Root Vegetables (SlenderKitchen)
- Healthy Slow Cooker Pot Roast Stew (HungryGirl)
- Lazy Day Slow Cooker Pot Roast (LaaLoosh)
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef Roast (SlenderKitchen)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Used burgundy cooking wine & cooked on low for 7 hours....the BEST pot roast recipe I’ve ever used! Will definitely make again!