Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Baked French Toast with Strawberry Topping
This easy healthy “skinny” baked french toast topped with a simple cooked fresh strawberry topping is a wonderful way to start your Sunday morning (or any morning).
The idea for this baked French toast, originated with my desire use up the remaining loaf of Greek Easter Bread that had begun to dry out. Baked french toast popped into my head, which sent me on a “skinny baked french toast” recipe-seeking excursion into my ever growing collection of cookbooks, around the web and back.
Skinny on Skinny Baked French Toast with Strawberry Topping
There are lots and lots of baked french toast recipes that call for huge amounts of whole eggs, cream, half and half and sugar. But that’s not what I was had in mind. I wanted a Weight Watchers friendly recipe that stuck a balance between tasty and healthy: nothing too austere or too rich.
I decided to use the Baked French Toast Recipe from Holly Clegg’s The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook, changing it only slightly. Instead of beginning with a layer of “light maple syrup” as she suggested, I opted to sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar.
Skinny French Toast is a great recipe to serve to a group. It’s make ahead and bakes all at once, so you avoid having to stand at the stove flipping for what can seem like an eternity. You prepare it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight so the bread soaks up all the milky/eggy goodness and gets soft. Then, in the morning, all you need to do is pop it into the oven until it’s puffy and golden brown.
With a large container of strawberries in the fridge, I decided to make a simple strawberry topping for the light and healthy baked French toast. It was a delicious accompaniment.
- 1 loaf (about 1 pound) bread, crust removed if hard
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk (I used half condensed nonfat milk for added richness)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch slices or tear into 1-inch pieces and arrange evenly in the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and cinnamon mixture, until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and press down on the bread to help it soak up the mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with warm maple syrup or strawberry topping.
- To make the strawberry topping, in a medium saucepan, toss 3 cups of the strawberries, the sugar and salt together. let sit, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries have released their juices and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of strawberries and cook over medium heat until the juice has thickened into a sauce, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
For the strawberry topping (1/3 cup): 50 calories, 0 g fat, 14 g carbs, 2 fiber, 1 g protein and 1 Weight Watchers PointsPlus value.
More Skinny Baked French Toast Recipes from Other Blogs and Websites:
If you liked this skinny baked French toast you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for skinny baked French toast calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.