Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Baked French Toast with Strawberry Topping
(281 calories | 10 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This easy healthy “skinny” baked french toast topped with a simple cooked fresh strawberry topping is a wonderful way to start your Sunday morning (or any morning).
The idea for this baked French toast, originated with my desire use up the remaining loaf of Greek Easter Bread that had begun to dry out.
Baked french toast popped into my head, which sent me on a “skinny baked french toast” recipe-seeking excursion into my ever growing collection of cookbooks, around the web and back.
Skinny on Skinny Baked French Toast with Strawberry Topping
There are lots and lots of baked french toast recipes that call for huge amounts of whole eggs, cream, half-and-half and sugar.
But that’s not what I was had in mind. I wanted a Weight Watchers friendly recipe that struck a balance between tasty and healthy: nothing too austere or too rich.
I decided to use the Baked French Toast Recipe from Holly Clegg’s The New Holly Clegg Trim and Terrific Cookbook , changing it only slightly. Instead of beginning with a layer of “light maple syrup” as she suggested, I opted to sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar.
Skinny French Toast is a great recipe to serve to a group. It’s make-ahead and bakes all at once, so you avoid having to stand at the stove flipping for what can seem like an eternity.
You prepare it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight, so the bread soaks up all the milky/eggy goodness and gets soft.
Then, in the morning, all you need to do is pop it into the oven until it’s puffy and golden brown.
With a large container of strawberries in the fridge, I decided to make a simple strawberry topping for the light and healthy baked French toast. It was a delicious accompaniment.
How Many Calories and Points in this French Toast?
According to my calculations, each serving (French toast only) has 231 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Each serving (1/3 cup) strawberry topping has about 50 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
1 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this recipe for lightened up baked French toast with strawberry topping, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watcher friendly breakfast and brunch recipes including Fresh Strawberry Bread, 4-Ingredient Microwave Mug Apple Pancake Puff, Healthy Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, Skinny Strawberry Waffle Shortcake and Slow Cooker Eggnog French Toast
If you’ve made this Strawberry Topped Baked French Toast, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Baked French Toast with Strawberry Topping Recipe
For the French Toast:
- 1 loaf (about 1 pound) bread, crust removed if hard
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk (I used half condensed non-fat milk for added richness)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Topping:
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Make the French Toast:
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch slices or tear into 1-inch pieces and arrange evenly in the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and cinnamon mixture, until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and press down on the bread to help it soak up the mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When you're ready to bake the French toast, preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with warm maple syrup or strawberry topping.
Make the Strawberry Topping:
- To make the strawberry topping, in a medium saucepan, toss 3 cups of the strawberries, the sugar and salt together. let sit, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries have released their juices and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of strawberries and cook over medium heat until the juice has thickened into a sauce, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.
Recipe Source: The New Holly Clegg Trim and Terrific Cookbook by Holly Clegg
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Skinny Baked French Toast Recipes from Other Blogs and Websites:
- Blueberry Almond French Toast (Ellie Krieger-Food Network)
- Mixed Berry French Toast Bake (Taste of Home )
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Baked French Toast (Everyday Maven)
If you liked this WW friendly French toast, you might also like:
- Easy Skinny Low Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- Healthy Breakfast Egg Sandwiches
- Healthy & Delicious Baked Oatmeal Recipes
- Easter Recipes for Weight Watchers
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!