Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Fresh Strawberry Bread
(188 calories | 7 7 7 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Today I've got a homemade bread recipe that's perfect for strawberry season.
Have you ever had fresh strawberry bread?
A lover of both strawberries and quick breads, I'm finding it hard to believe that I hadn't.
That is until I caught a glimpse of a yummy looking recipe in Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age - 200 Simple and Sassy Recipes, one of my latest cookbook acquisitions.
Skinny on Fresh Strawberry Bread
I've decided to experiment with using olive oil when baking so substituted ¼ cup light olive oil for the ⅓ cup melted butter called for in this fresh strawberry bread.
The recipe suggests cranberry-strawberry juice but any red fruit juice would work. (I used a berry blend from Hansen's.)
To boost it's nutritional profile use a combination of whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour.
If you are sugar-free, adjust the sugar content with your sweetener of choice.
And of course you could always use butter instead of olive oil if you prefer.
Be sure to to fluff your flour well before measuring it to prevent your bread from being dry, tough and/or heavy.
According to my calculations each slice of this yummy fresh strawberry bread has 188 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:Tender and not too sweet, with a pleasant hint of lemon, I'll definitely make this again. Enjoy!
If you've made this Fresh Strawberry Quick Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Fresh Strawberry Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup light olive oil, or canola oil
- ⅓ cup cranberry-strawberry juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-½ cups hulled and coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, egg white, oil, juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until blended. (The batter will be thick.) Stir in the strawberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. (Mine took 55 minutes. If the bread is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with foil.)
- Remove from the pan from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the loaf from the pan and set it on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 slices.
Source: slightly adapted from Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age - 200 Simple and Sassy Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like fresh strawberry bread, you might also like
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!