Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Whole Wheat Bread
(86 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Homemade wholewheat bread is so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store, but it can be intimidating to make.
That's where this simple recipe for homemade whole wheat bread from Laurie Colwin comes to the rescue.
In her essay, "Bread Baking Without Agony," which appears in her wonderful book, Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen , she describes an easy foolproof method for making whole wheat bread.
I have it made several times with great results, a feat that still delights me.
The Skinny on Laurie Colwin's Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
As Colwin explains, "Bread baking without agony is about arranging matters so that the dough suits your timetable rather than the other way around."
The key is using just a tiny bit of yeast so the dough rises slowly and can be adjusted to your schedule.
As a Weight Watcher who loves baking and loves GOOD bread, I think a slice of this delicious hearty whole wheat bread is so worth it!
According to my calculations, each slice has about 86 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Every time I eat homemade bread I ask myself why I don't make it more often and give a little silent salute to my Nana, who worked full time while raising 2 kids and still managed to make time to bake bread from scratch every Saturday.
If you like this recipe for whole wheat bread, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly bread recipes including Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread, Moist Banana Bread, Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Bread, Quick Flatbread Dough and Lemon Rosemary Blueberry Bread
If you've made this Homemade Wheat Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Laurie Colwin's Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1-½ cups unbleached white flour
- 2-¼ cups stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup milk
- In a large bowl combine the flours, wheat germ, salt and yeast. Pour the water and milk into the flour and stir it up.
- The dough should be neither dry nor sticky but should tend more toward sticky than dry. If too sticky, knead in a little more flour.
- Knead the dough well. (I do this with my KitchenAid mixer.)
- Roll the dough in flour and put it int a warm bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap or a clean towel and leave it in a cool, draft-free place and go about your business.
- Several hours later, whenever convenient, punch down the down, knead it well, roll it in flour and forget about it till convenient.
- Sometime later, punch the dough down, give it a final kneading, shape it into a baguette, place it on a baking sheet, slash the top with 4 diagonal cuts, brush the loaf with water and let proof for a few minutes (and if you don't have time, it can go straight into the oven).
- You can preheat the oven or put it straight into a cold oven, it matters not a bit. Bake at 450F degrees for 30 minutes. Turn the oven to 425F degrees and bake another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Source: Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch as Jenny Jones makes her own easy whole wheat bread at home:
More Weight Watchers Friendly Bread Recipes
Interested in learning how to make Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day???
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!