I love this recipe for quick flatbread dough.
You can make the dough in the food processor in less than a minute making it possible to create light and tasty thin crust pizzas at home in 30 minutes or less.
Because the dough has no yeast you can roll it out right away.
It makes a flatter, more crisp crust than traditional pizza dough, which I’ve come to prefer. (Traditional pizzas often seem “too doughy” to me these days.)
The recipe is makes 4 individual flatbreads, each with just 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
The recipe for this quick flatbread dough is from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great, one of my favorite cookbooks. It’s author, Pam managed to get healthy and lose more than 40 pounds while refusing to give up the food she loves.
As a food lover and successful cookbook writer, Pam refused to “Diet.” Instead, she devised a balanced eating plan with delicious recipes that allowed her to lose weight without deprivation. (Talk about a girl after my own heart!)
Pam suggests bread flour for making this quick flatbread dough, but I’ve used King Arthur all-purpose flour with good results. White wheat flour or a combination of half bread flour and half whole wheat flour will also taste great, but the crust will be chewier and less crisp.
Topped with tomato sauce, your favorite vegetables and/or lean meat, baked and then sprinkled with a light dusting of grated Parmesan as soon as you remove it from the oven, this quick and easy flatbread dough provides the foundation for a light and healthy pizza, perfect for a busy night.
- 1 cup bread flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup warm water, plus more if necessary
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix the flour and salt in the food processor. Stir together the water and oil and pour over the flour mixture. Process until a soft dough ball forms. If the dough is too stiff, add another tablespoon of water and continue to process until the dough is well kneaded, 15 - 20 seconds.
- Lightly dust your hands and a clean surface with flour. Turn out the dough onto the lightly floured surface and cut the dough into quarters.
- Working with ¼ of the dough at a time, roll each out to a 12 x 4 - inch rectangle, dusting with flour and turning as necessary to prevent it from sticking.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. (All four flatbreads should fit crosswise on the same sheet.)
- Top as desired and bake in a hot (450-500 degree) oven until the crust is golden and crisp (10 - 15 minutes).
- *Substitute 1 cup white wheat flour for bread flour if desired. This dough will be stiffer and take longer to form a ball.
- *For whole wheat crust use ½ cup bread flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour. This is delicious, but chewier and less crisp
Source: The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.