WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
(218 calories | *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
I have award winning chef Rick Bayless and his Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce to thank for the yummy shredded Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa I made over the weekend.
Talk about easy and delicious.
The red chile barbacoa I made with Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking sauce was full of flavor and so simple to make.
I just tossed a 2-pound frozen hunk of beef into the slow cooker along with a sliced onion and the packet of sauce and let it cook on LOW for about 8 hours.
And was rewarded with the most delicious beef barbacoa that we enjoyed in tacos for lunch Saturday and again for dinner last night.
Everyone agreed that it was very good. Flavorful, but not too spicy.
Truthfully, I had pretty low expectations given that I failed to follow the directions on the pouch of Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce, which called for adding a sliced red onion and browning the beef before slow cooking.
I used a white onion, since it was what I had. Skipped browning, since my chunk of beef was frozen. And hoped for the best.
The Skinny on Frontera’s Beef Barbacoa Slow Cooking Sauce
Being an avid label reader, I was happy to discover that this sauce is made with all-natural ingredients: water, roasted tomato, apple cider vinegar, chipotle chiles in adobo, ancho chile, dark brown sugar, guajillo chile, salt, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano and cinnamon.
Each 2-tablespoon serving has just 15 calories, 0 g fat, 3 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein.
I’ll definitely pick up another packet of this delicious Frontera Barbacoa Slow-Cooking sauce to keep in the pantry for when I want another super easy and delicious barbacoa fix.
According to my calculations, each 4-ounce serving of this red chile shredded beef barbacoa has 218 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
If you’ve made this low carb Slow Cooker Red Chile Beef Barbacoa, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow-Cooking Sauce
- 2 pounds of beef chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 pouch (8 ounces) Frontera Red Chile Barbacoa Beef Slow Cooking Sauce
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Cut beef into chunks, brown in oil and add to slow cooker along with the slices of onion and sauce.
- Or if you are feeling really lazy, just put the raw beef, onions and sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until fork-tender.
- Transfer the meat from the slow cooker to a rimmed baking sheet. Use two forks to pull the meat apart. Discard the fat. Place the shredded barbacoa beef in large bowl and ladle the cooking liquid over the top a few scoops at a time. (You want the meat to hold the liquid but not swim in it. You probably won't need all the cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt.
- To keep the barbacoa warm, you can return the shredded beef to your slow cooker and keep it warm on the WARM setting.
- Serve with fresh tortillas, chopped onion, cilantro, and salsa.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like Frontera Beef Barbacoa Slow Cooking Sauce, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef from Scratch (Slender Kitchen)
- Weight Watchers Italian Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Loin
Here’s what I used to make this easy Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!