(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 169)
I first made this recipe for slow cooker Mexican meatball soup way back in 2009. And it’s just as good now as it was then, so I decided to pull it from the archives for old times sake. Back then, my crock pot love affair was just getting started…
As I continue exploring ways to simplify life in the kitchen and make getting dinner on the table quick and easy, my relationship with the Crockpot deepens.
Soon my Slow Cooker may take up permanent residence on the counter!
Crockpot cooking makes getting dinner on the table a breeze.
By investing a few minutes in the morning combining ingredients in the slow cooker, I’m able to focus on the day without stressing about “what’s for dinner?” because a satisfying homemade dish, like this slow cooker Mexican Meatball Soup, will be ready and waiting for us.
This recipe is an adaptation of Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup with Rice from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
I made this recipe more Weight Watchers friendly by:
- adding two 10 ounce bags of frozen southwestern mixed vegetables (a blend of chopped bell peppers, onion, zucchini, baby carrots, and corn) to my version of Mexican Meatball Soup. This bulks up the soup with Weight Watchers power foods for minimal PointsPlus. (Fresh would work too if you prefer.)
- using turkey meatballs instead of beef since they’re lower in fat, calories and PointsPlus.
Each serving (1/6th of the recipe) of this yummy satisfying slow cooker Mexican meatball soup has 279 calories and *7 Points Plus. (Back in 2009, I hadn’t begun trying to measure out portions for my recipes, but from the ingredients list I’d guestimate that each serving is about 2 cups. )
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 (10 ounces) frozen mixed Mexican style vegetables (optional)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup converted rice
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- Serving Suggestions: Lots of yummy things would go well with this slow cooker mexican meatball soup including corn muffins, tortillas, cheese quesadillas, and simple green salad. I served it with warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.
Source: adapted from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker Mexican meatball soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”
~ William Shakespeare
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!