(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 127)
This slow cooker rosemary chicken was my first attempt cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot.
And, now I’m wondering what took me so long.
It turned out moist and delicious.
And dare I say, with better flavor and texture than the Costco rotisserie chickens on which I’ve come to depend?
Granted, this slow cooker rosemary chicken takes a little more effort than the ready-to-go chicken from Costco.
But, really not that much more. Especially, when compared to how much better it tastes.
All you need to do is rub the cavity with garlic and salt, stuff it with onion wedges and herbs, and place it in your slow cooker. Then rub the outside with a little olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and seasonings.
Several hours later, you’ll be rewarded with moist and tender, garlic and rosemary scented chicken.
And your whole house will smell amazing!
I served this slow cooker rosemary chicken with a simple green salad and slow cooker broccoli corn casserole I’ll post as soon as I can.
Since it was the weekend, I took a few extra minutes to turn the liquid remaining in the slow cooker into the most delicious gravy.
Keep in mind that the number of servings will vary depending on the size of your chicken. According to Weight Watchers, a 3 ounce serving of roast chicken without skin has *3 Points Plus.
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic (I used jarred)
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ onion, cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or to taste
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6 to 7-Quart.
- Remove the sack of chicken innards from inside the chicken and discard.
- Rub the inside of the chicken with garlic and Kosher salt.
- Stuff the onion wedges, rosemary and thyme sprigs into the chicken cavity.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Rub the olive oil over the outside of the chicken.
- Combine the poultry seasoning and seasoning salt and sprinkle all over the outside of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender, the drumsticks move freely when you wiggle them, and the juices run clean when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Lift the chicken out of the slow cooker and onto a platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- If desired, make a gravy right in the slow cooker: Stir together ¼ cup cornstarch and ¼ cup cold water until smooth. Pour mixture into the juices left in the slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook on high for about 10 to 15 minutes until thickened and bubbly. If the mixture gets to thick, thin to desired consistency with more water. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (3 ounces chicken without skin): 151 calories, 5.3 g fat, 0 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 22.4 g protein and *3 Points Plus.
Source: adapted from Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook (Everyday Cookbook Collection)
If you liked slow cooker rosemary chicken you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker rosemary chicken calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.